The bastards

Catelyn's Pov:

Ned returned to Winterfell with Lyanna dead body.

 Catelyn rode back to north with her son to Winterfell happy to be finally back with Ned but when she reaches winter fell Ned can't meet her eyes

 Catelyn rode back to north with her son to Winterfell happy to be finally back with Ned but when she reaches winter fell Ned can't meet her eyes. And she saw the reason right in front of her. two bastard children. Ned had bought Along a bastard daughter Allyria snow and a bastard son. Jon Snow.

Many men fathered bastards. Catelyn had grown up with that knowledge. It came as no surprise to her, in the first year of her marriage, to learn that Ned had fathered twins on some girl chance met on campaign. They had spent that year apart, Ned off at war in the south while she remained safe in her father's castle at Riverrun.

He was welcome to whatever solace he might find between battles.

He did more than that. The Starks were not like other men. Ned brought his bastards home with him and called him "son" and her "daughter" for all the north to see.

That cut deep. Ned would not speak of the mother, not so much as a word, but a castle has no secrets, and Catelyn heard her maids repeating tales they heard from the lips of her husband's soldiers. They whispered of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, deadliest of the seven knights of Aerys's Kingsguard, and of how their young lord had slain him in single combat. And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur's sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the Summer Sea. The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes. The girl too had violet eyes.

It had taken her a fortnight to marshal her courage, but finally, in bed one night, Catelyn had asked her husband the truth of it, asked him to his face. That was the only time in all their years that Ned had ever frightened her. "Never ask me about Jon and Allyria," he said, cold as ice. "They are my blood, and that is all you need to know. And now I will learn where you heard that name, my lady."

she told him; and from that day on, the whispering had stopped, and Ashara Dayne's name was never heard in Winterfell again. Whoever their mother had been, Ned must have loved her fiercely, for nothing Catelyn said would persuade him to send the boy and girl away. It was the one thing she could never forgive him.

She had come to love her husband with all her heart, but she had never found it in her to love Jon and Allyria. She might have overlooked a dozen bastards for Ned's sake, so long as they were out of sight. they were never out of sight, and as Jon grew, he looked more like Ned than any of the trueborn sons she bore him. Somehow that made it worse.

as they grew up ned loved his bastard born son as his own but he couldn't bring himself to take allyria. everytime he looked at her he was reminded of what he has lost after ashara threw herself in the sea. she looked too much like her her violet eyes digging into his soul.