Chapter 2: Is This Love?

You woke up to the beautiful sight of a cardboard box. Who needed a house when you could have this kind of luxury? You cracked your back and stepped onto the scratchy sidewalk. Today you were going to explore more of the city. And then if all went wrong, you would get a bus back home. You eat a nutritious breakfast of a 90 year old BK burger you had found on the street a couple blocks back. You walked forwards. Right into someone. Hoping it wasn't the Fortnite cult, you reel backwards. You blush when you see who it was. It was a handsome monster with red fur, an orange nose, and stringy arms and legs. Almost as though he was a puppet, which he totally was not. Totally. You had to admit, he was just about the finest looking lad you'd ever seen. "I'm so sorry!!" you squeaked. His eyes widened, and was it just your imagination, or was he blushing too? "That's okay." he says instead. "Elmo was just finishing my meal of 3 grilled obese men with pickles." So humble!! You think, but cut yourself off. What am I thinking? What... What is this feeling? You felt different from when you'd committed arson, but it was still a pleasant, nervous emotion. You stared at him for a while. He stared back. He cleared his throat. "Um... Do you need something?" That snaps you back to reality instead of pondering the intensity of his soulful eyes. "Only y...our train. A train!" You had nearly said "Only you!!" His face lit up. " Hey, that's where Elmo's headed!" he had squealed. "Maybe we can sit together?" his face turned a deeper red, and he looked away. "Just as friends." You had nodded. "Elmo's Elmer, by the way. You can call Elmo Elmo." Then the two of you walked to the station. You rubbed your face, still figuring out what you were feeling. You sat with him. The train screeched. "We are now departing for wherever the heck I want you to go." the captain grumbled. And... they were off! A lady walked into the entrance of their cab. "Any snacks?" she questioned. Elmo looked at you expectantly. You pulled out a screwdriver. Of course you had known the proper currency in this realm, and were just waiting until the day when you would be sucked into the portal of this dimension, destroying the space time continuum.  But we don't talk about THAT part. A screwdriver was the highest form of payment. "Five packages of peanuts, please." you say. You were NOT going to let Elmo pay for your food! The woman snatched up the money and chucked the stale food at their heads. "Enjoy your meal." she said, bustling away. Elmo smiled at you. "Thanks. Elmo spent all his money on buying the Emoji Movie on all of his devices." he said. "Me too!" you blurted. "Well, my PEOPLE money." Elmo eyed you up and down. "You wanna play Among Us?" he asked. "Do I?!" And you both played it for the rest of the time. "Well, this is Elmo's stop." Elmo eventually adds. No!! You think. "Maybe we can watch the Emoji Movie sometime, or go to the park, or-" he inhaled, and held out a hand. "Friends?" You took it. "Forever. See you around." You both exchanged phone numbers. And with that he walked off the vehicle, and you watched him fade into the early morning mist. And all you could think about for the rest of the day was war, arson, and him.