Twenty-three

Pov Wilhelm
"And you're sure you can do that?" Erik nods. "It's only a short walk out, and it's more tiring in there" he looks towards the dining room, where around a hundred people are sitting.

New Year's is like this every year. There are a lot of people and around midnight it just gets too much. For as long as I know, I've been going out into the garden at midnight because you can have peace and quiet and not everyone is watching you. Plus, it's a much more pleasant way to start the new year.

"Here" Simon is back again. He briefly went into our rooms and got a sweater or jacket for everyone, since it's really too cold to be outside in just a suit. "Thank you" I smile and take the hoodie that Simon holds out to me. Erik puts on his jacket and the three of us go out.

I'm slowly getting the hang of how to best walk around with my splint on without it looking bad. As soon as we got outside, Simon took my hand and grinned.

For the next few minutes the three of us strolled through the garden until we finally arrived at a certain spot. From here we can watch the fireworks undisturbed. So we sit in the snow. It's snowed quite a bit the last few days, so everything is now covered in a white layer. The meadows, the trees, the streets and so on.

"It's midnight in a few minutes" Erik states after looking at his phone. "Great" Simon seems pretty tired. I pull him towards me until he's leaning against me. After a short while he says, "Wait" and lies down with his head in my lap. "Sorry, but the other one was a bit uncomfortable" he laughs. I press a kiss oo his lips, shaking my head.

"I think we would be in trouble if Mom saw what we were doing right now." "Definitely" Erik looks at us with a grin. "I think where do we have to go to change again later" he says and looks at his suit pants. "There are worse things" I'm slowly noticing how I'm getting more and more tired.

Normally I'm still wide awake at this time, but these painkillers are making me really tired. I only take half or so of what I took at Christmas, but still. Since Simon is known to be lying half on top of me, I can't lean on him, which is a bit annoying. But then what do you have older brothers for? I lay my head on Erik's shoulder. It probably looks pretty funny right now because we're all kind of leaning on each other. But it's beautiful at the same time.

Erik takes his phone out of his jacket pocket again and looks at it. He turns it so that Simon and I can see it too.

Twenty more seconds.

Simon slowly sits up again.

Ten more seconds.

I put one arm around Simon and the other around Erik. New Year with the two most important people in my life. Is there anything better? I don't think so.

Midnight.

"Happy New Year" Erik grins and ruffles my hair. "We survived" "We did" I turn to Simon.

In the colored light from the fireworks, his dark curls look even more beautiful. He generally looks even more beautiful than usual. I actually always thought that wasn't possible. Apparently not. He seems to notice my look because he grins cheekily.

I carefully brush a curl of hair out of his face, put a hand on his neck and kiss him lovingly.

I'm so glad to have him.

"I love you so much"
"I love you too"