✧ 𝐓𝐖𝐎

" La tua presenza mi dona pace

" La tua presenza mi dona pace. "

.*ೃ༄
╰┈➤ 𝑭𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒎𝒖𝒓𝒎𝒖𝒓𝒔 rang through the village backdrop as I moved quickly and quietly behind the large man's deep shadow.

He came to an abrupt stop, scrutinizing the wares displayed on a vendor's table—before selecting the ones that met his approval.

Behind the counter stood the shopkeeper, trembling slightly from fear, incapable of more than a nervous nod in response to the man's heavy presence.

"I'll take these," he declared, his voice bearing that of a command. The shopkeeper nodded again, terrified of what may happen if he showed even the least bit of resistance.

After their exchange, the man cast an irite gaze toward my figure, signaling for me to follow him back. The two of us began walking once more.

"That poor child," came the faint whisper of a woman. "I heard he abuses her at home—isn't it awful?"

Her companion exchanged a pitiful glance with her, "And look, dragging her along to run errands, doesn't she look rather thin? He probably doesn't even feed her. What a horrible man."

My youthful innocence, ensured, that I wouldn't even possess enough knowledge to decipher what they were saying. All I could do was stare at the gossiping women, seeing their watchful irises move slowly across their eyes as we passed by.

Suddenly, my father grabbed my arm, yanking me forward harshly. His irritated grunt reminded me to stay vigilant and keep pace with him. "Pay them no heed," he admonished.

Before long, the quaint yet familiar smithy came into view, it's structure bearing the weight of time and tradition—surrounded by the beautiful lush of green forests.

My father hurriedly led me inside, locking the front door securely behind us.

He raised his hand, bringing it down toward my face. I instinctively closed my eyes and then—I felt the soft sensation of him brushing away my stray hairs.

"I'm so sorry," he said with guilt, "I didn't mean to pull you so hard." He moved his palms to leave a small pat on the top of my head. "It's just...these people can't know how close we are."

I threw my small body into his arms, wishing nothing more than to be comforted by my father at this very moment. "It's okay Papa! You didn't hurt me!"

His chest rumbled with a soft chuckle as he enveloped me in a tight hug. "You might not understand now, but if they knew the truth, they'd shun you."

"What does 'shun' mean?" My father laughed again, pulling away from our embrace.

"Don't worry about it. Just remember that your Papa loves you," he reassured me, planting a tender kiss on my forehead.

"I love you too, Papa!" I replied, clinging to him with all the fervor a young child could muster.

After a moment of silence, he spoke again, his words etched forever in my mind and my heart.

"My dearest and most precious daughter, I love you more than life itself."

╰┈➤ UNEDITED

Original publication: 09

Original publication: 09.18.2023