✧ 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

" La tua presenza mi dona pace

" La tua presenza mi dona pace. "

.*ೃ༄
╰┈➤ "Yanqing, watch your step. The path here tends to be uneven."

The young swordsman's obeyed by words, drawing closer to me while being careful of his footsteps. The path meandered through a secluded forest, the rustling leaves and distant sounds of nature creating a serene backdrop. I could feel Yanqing's curiosity lingering in the air, an unspoken question in his eyes.

We walked in companionable silence for a while, the soft crunch of gravel beneath our feet the only sounds. Finally, he spoke up, his voice gentle, "Why did you bury your father so far from the town?"

Keeping pace, I turned to face him. The wind played with my hair as I explained, "Just as a precaution; because of that man's reputation he is bound to attract vandals and people that wish to disturb his grave. I figured letting him rest peacefully in death was the least I could do, even for a fool like him."

I sighed, shaking my head. "Forced into servitude by the very same organization that promised him prosperity of his people and his family —what simple deception. Like I said, a foolish man."

Yanqing nodded in understanding, his expression a mix of sympathy and intrigue. He followed quietly behind me, into the dense foliage that provided a natural curtain of privacy.

"But—you always say that my virtue reminds you of your father."

"Virtue doesn't erase suffering. Even with his sacrifice, his actions cannot be undone."

As we ventured further, Yanqing's gaze shifted to me, a hint of laughter in his words. "You speak of him this way, yet you bring flowers and food to his grave."

I shook my head gently, "It is only the duty of a daughter. It would be disrespectful not to visit him occasionally; after all, he did take care of me.

We approached a clearing, the sunlight filtering through the trees to reveal a simple, unmarked grave.

Standing there for a moment, I knelt down, placing flowers and a small offering of food beside the mound of earth that held my father's remains.

Silence enveloped us as my mind drifted elsewhere. Even though the sight of this grave brought me great pain, for some reason, I couldn't help but reminisce on the memories of my youth.

And even though this man carried many sins, for some reason, I still feel a small piece of happiness when I remember his gentle embrace.

Yanqing watched respectfully—his eyes flickering between me and the gravestone.

Finally, after a long while of thinking, he broke the delicate silence; a single, yet simple question.

"You loved your father, didn't you?"

The question hung in the air for a moment.

"Yes. I did."

And for a long time, everything faded into the background. So much so, that I couldn't hear the swordsman calling my name gently, as he crouched by my side—

and wiped away my tears.

╰┈➤ UNEDITED

Original publication: 01

Original publication: 01.02.2024