12

Jessie Pov

"You have been staring at your phone for too long," I am startled when Grey's mother walks behind me and stands beside me. I force a smile and hide it on my hip side.

"It is just hard not being at work," I say.

She looks at me mildly troubled.

"I understand we are routine beings." She says.

Silence stretches between us as we watch Grey socialize and laugh with his friends and work colleagues. He decided to host this brunch after his promotion, and I have hated every minute of it.

"You should watch out for her," Grey's mother point at Talia.

"Talia?" I huff in a dismissive manner as i watch her laugh with Grey. I have been watching them and their chemistry is painfully obvious. "She is just his workmate," I add.

Talia places her hand on his back. She whispers something to his ear and he throws his head back in a fit of laughter.

Grey's mother looks up at me, she takes her time to assess my face trying to read into my thoughts, "If he ever do something that would hurt you, leave, and call me." She says.

"I'll keep that in mind," I reply, relieved when I spot Layla walking toward us. At least we can discuss something other than me.

She is in a co-ord set that is high waist shorts and a crop top. She has been attracting attention of some of the men.

"People in finance are such snobs," Layla complains as she halts beside me.

"Tell me about it," I agree with her.

"With their jargon and acronyms, it's like a secret code meant to exclude the commoners like us," She sighs frustrated.

I understand exactly what she means. Grey seems to have forgotten that there's a world beyond the stock market.

"Let me go pack, my husband misses me," Grey's mother announces her departure.

She hugs Layla then me, "Call me or pick up my calls more often," She reminds.

I assure her that i will.

"You were right, she is cool. She did actually give me insightful advice on my relationship," Layla says as soon as we are alone.

"So you and Fred are good now?" I ask her.

"Mmh..." She nods.

"I brought you a drink," I turn as i see Harry, Grey's workmate walk to us.

I raise an eyebrow when I notice a fleeting, stolen smile dancing at the edges of Layla's mouth. It's so brief that I almost miss it.

"I didn't get a chance to tell you what a nice house you have," he says. Since our initial encounter, I've disliked him—he sounds so obnoxious, like a know-it-all.

I arch an eyebrow, intrigued despite my reservations about him, "Thank you, " I say sarcastically.

He doesn't care for sarcasm.

"I will find you before i leave," He addresses Layla and we watch him walk away.

"That guy is so full of himself," I say.

Layla turns to me with a surprised look. "He's basically you with balls," she says with a mischievous grin.

"I see you want to be a comedian?" I forces a fake laugh.

"Seriously, finance guys are such whores. Stay away," I warn her.

Layla turns to me, her eyes sparkling with amusement and a playful grin tugging at the corners of her mouth. "I am not interested in him. I have Fred," She confirms.

"It is him i don't trust," I say.

"I think Grey is calling you," She says instead, and i raise my head to see him gesturing me to come over.

I smooth my hands over my bright yellow sundress and walk toward them. Glancing down, I see my nervous reflection shimmering on the surface of the swimming pool as I pass. I wonder why he called me, considering he seemed to forget my existence as soon as everyone arrived.

Talia smiles at me as I stop beside Grey. He puts his arm around my waist and pulls me closer. His eyes gaze down at me dotingly, and I become confused. His emotions always bewilder me.

"She is the one that has elevated me to where i am," He says to his boss, surprising me with his acknowledgment.

Now, everyone in our vicinity turns their attention to me, and I hate being in the spotlight. I notice Talia blinking several times as she turns her head away from us.

"She is a beauty," His boss says and i blush.

"Next time you see me in a rush to get home, now you know why," Grey jokes, and there's laughter. I catch Chase's gaze; he looks displeased and glares at Grey, who remains oblivious to the green-eyed monster.

CFO is a significant achievement for Grey, and he's finally where he always wanted to be. The salary is substantial, and the benefits are unimaginable. I understand why Chase is envious.

Grey proposes a toast for the occasion. After a while, he walks over to Chase. I look around for Talia, but she's nowhere in sight

As the event starts winding down, Grey's boss approaches me again. "You must be really proud of Grey," he says with a warm smile

I nod and reply sincerely, "Yes, I am. He's worked incredibly hard to get to where he is, and he deserves all the success that's come his way." Despite his other shortcomings, I admired Grey's discipline in what he set his mind on. "How about Chase?" I ask.

"He was the one that endorsed Grey." He says.

I just nod.

I finish wiping the sink, and as I turn, I find Grey standing behind me. Grey's mother has left, and Layla too. I find myself missing the distractions they brought.

"Baby, we made it," he says. He has been happy the entire day.

I smile in agreement.

"Do you remember five years ago when I promised you that when I get on top, I will give you everything you left for me?" he asks.

I nod, avoiding saying anything. His words and the fact that he remembers warm my heart.

"I will keep my promise." He says his hand running over my thigh up to my panties.

His hand cups over it. And his hand on my waist pulls me closer to kiss him. And this time i kiss him back with love. He stops kissing me and lifts me up to the sink. His spreads my leg and watch him, slowly squat to go down on me. Something he rarely does.

"It was my day now i am going to make it your night." His warm breath on my skin makes me shudder and again hope is reborn in our relationship. Maybe there is a future after all.