Chapter 1: Here we go again

Imagine you have a collection of extremely powerful and dangerous books and relics of magic. Books that hold the secrets to dark powers, unimaginable evils, and relics with power over even time itself. Where would you keep such a collection? In a high security vault, perhaps. Or hidden in a secret and almost inaccessible location. Certainly not in the middle of an open library that all training sorcerers can use, guarded only by a few chains and the librarian. But that was how it had always been done at Kamar-Taj, and the librarian had always been a sorcerer of immense power and fighting prowess.

 Said Sorcerer was currently sitting at his desk, most of his attention on his book and the pop music playing through the out of place headphones in his ears. Most of his attention. As always, a small part of his mind was focusing on his duties, so of course he noticed the skulking stranger who stumbled in through the side entrance. The man had a long dark beard, and was wearing a green tunic. His body and clothes were caked in blood and grime, and he hobbled across the floor, clutching his side in agony. The muck on his clothes and body dripped onto the ground as he staggered towards the plinth in the adjoining room. 

In less than a second, Wong was on his feet and advancing towards the man. Though unsure of what he was there for, or even who he was, Wong could tell this man meant trouble. He had a strange sense that this man was in fact a master of causing trouble. Reaching a trembling hand up to the plinth, the man let out a low howl as he realised his prize was not there. His eyes lost all hope, and were now as black as pitch, and with a cold, dead look of someone who is on at least Plan J, and would go to any length to get what they want. In short, a look of utter insanity. 

"Where is it?" He half roared, half whispered. Wong did not reply, he simply lowered into a fighting stance and conjured a glowing, sparking weapon between his hands. 

"WHERE IS IT!" Repeated the madman, before running straight at Wong, instinct taking over his crazed mind. Wong remained stoic, swung his flickering weapon to meet the onslaught, and it was all over quicker than it had begun. The man was on the ground. Releasing his weapon, Wong bent over the body. As he leaned down, the dark eyes flicked open, staring at him until he felt they were looking directly into his soul.

"Here we go again." The voice rasped, and those four words sent shivers down the sorcerer's spine. Golden light burst from the body, and Wong was thrown backwards as the whole room was bathed in a relentless glow that pounded and burned at the walls, like a lion fighting a cage.