15

Lycans are a second breed of Werewolves who appeared in the third age, descendants of the first bloodline who was magically created by the Elves to be used as laborers and slaves. Once normal humans were infected by the firstborn Werewolves, the elves decided to terminate them. But this new breed, the Lycans escaped and lived on in the deep woods of Faria.

They had prosperous settlements and lived in tribes, as they kept their human personalities and their sanity while transformed or shifted into their wolf shape, unlike their ancestors. Creating their own culture and polytheistic religion worshiping nature and the spirits within their forest they lived in peace beside their elven and human neighbors for thousands of years. Until the end of the fourth age, when the now Late King of Gera decided he wanted nothing to do with them and burned all records of their descent and made up stories about them as ferocious monsters.

______________________

"The Lycan army has been spotted," one of our scouts reported as he jumped off his horse. "I counted over seven hundred men," he phanted excitedly.

"Wolves you mean?" Joseph muttered at my side and I gave him a glare.

"No, they walk as men," the soldier answered, as if this was surprising to him as well.

I heard Roland chuckle behind us and we all turned to look at him, "they will indeed fight as wolves, and they would probably have moved here faster if shifted. My guess is it's easier to bring supplies walking as men."

I realized he knew a lot more about them than anyone else in this castle, probably because he'd fought against them. And that was one of his strengths, he observed people, studied them and he learned about their behaviors and other useful things. Just as he had observed me with my friends and learned about my true self, and looked past the role of prince I had been given at birth. I liked that about him.

The courtyard got busy preparing for their arrival but my focus was on Roland, "would you take a walk with me?" I asked and he gave me a nod. "As my Colonel you are in charge of my army, and you will have to work closely together with the Alpha," I started as we reached the stairs to the battlements.

"Yes," he answered me gently as he let me lead the way up the stairs to stop and gaze out over the open landscape beneath us. Our castle was located on a high hill. To the east of us we saw the busy city of Uxbrid and the vast ocean bordering it. To the west it was all farmland and meadows reaching as far as our eyes could see, but we both knew that further east lay the thick forests of Faria, and there was where our eyes lingered. Waiting.

"Will that be a problem?" I wondered.

"It wont," he promised. "We share similar interests and I respect a good warrior and leader. He's proven to be both." He paused for a minute, peering down at me for a while before reaching out and placing one of my dark curls behind my ear. "You have no reason to trust me, I know that. And I also understand why you put all your trust in him now." He sighed deeply, "I messed up and I'm just happy we are on talking terms again."

I nodded a little but kept my eyes on the horizon. "I've been thinking about what you said yesterday. If I'm not your lover anymore, why fight for me at all?"

"Because you are a far better King than any of those idiots who's trying to take your place," he muttered. "You are my king, because I see what you are trying to accomplish here, and it's a good plan Adrian."

"And if I said I might have feelings for another man?"

"So you lied to me?" he asked with a frown.

"No, I did not." You asked if I love him, and I don't. Love is something you build up over time," I corrected him.