13

"Tell me the truth," I demanded as Eli and I left the barracks and stepped out on the courtyard. "How's the moral?"

"We're holding up, Lord King," he answered. "A lot of the more experienced men were supporters of Echar and Ashor, so we are left with the young men. Knowing there's a war coming we doubled the training."

"I've reached out to the dukes of Gera and asked for more men." I stopped and gave him a once-over, he was barely twenty years old and had climbed the ranks quickly. He had the light features of the north, a polite face with freckles over his nose. He was certainly too sweet looking for a soldier but he seemed to have earned the respect from his men. "I was thinking of promoting you to Colonel of my army Eli, but I really need you in charge of my personal protection," I mumbled and noticed the surprised expression on his face.

"I understand Lord, it's an honor to be the Commander of the KingsGuard."

"Do you know anyone suitable for leading my army?" I continued and feared he would have nothing to say. But he did.

"Sir Roland," he mumbled shyly. "I know you say he's a traitor Lord King, but he's always been very loyal to you."

I licked my lips and nodded a few times, "He'll get his chance to make his case, but until then?"

"My father fought beside yours when they were young," he began, "he's too old to lead an army now, but I believe he would be a great advisor."

"And he would be loyal to me?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

"He is loyal to Gera, Lord, and if he finds out they murdered your father and your brother I am sure he will do anything to protect you, and our people," he added quickly.

I nodded slowly and pondered it over. Maybe an old graybeard was what I needed. Someone with more experience. "We're siding with Faria," I told him. "Their Alpha will arrive with an army of Lycans soon. Will that affect his decision?"

"Better than standing alone, isn't it?" Eli mumbled. "We all need to accept them, since they're our only ally at this point."

I gave him a smile and realized why I liked this man, he was open minded and rational. "Send your father a message then, and offer him a chair in my council."

I left the young man with heavy steps, knowing I still needed someone who could lead my army. If the dukes of my lands were keen on protecting their wealth they would support me and lend their soldiers to my aid. Because who knew what the leaders of our enemies were planning to do with my country if they conquered it. They would probably kill most of us and populate the estates with their own people. I needed more answers and I knew someone who could give them to me.

The dungeons were overflowing with prisoners and my chef was right, this was a problem. As soon as I stepped down there men and women started to call out to me, from behind the bars, and swore their allegiance to me.

"You will all get a chance to explain yourselves, at a formal trial," I muttered and felt relieved when I was greeted by the prison guard. "Have someone bring Kendrick Roland to my office, in chains please," I instructed and turned to leave the dreadful place. I felt bad for the many men and women who were down there, but reminded myself they were criminals and traitors to the crown.

I needed to see him alone, but at the same time I was afraid my emotions would betray me. I pondered the option to invite Angela, but almost instantly dismissed the thought. This had to be a personal meeting, I needed all kinds of answers, and I needed him to tell me the truth.

It didn't take long for Kendrick to arrive with his escort and I ordered the guards to wait outside. I was seated in my extravagant chair but lately I'd started to wear the clothes I used before I was King, they reminded me of who I once was.