Empire from the Shadows

The two spies hiked along the pathway. Stones and twigs digging into the worn undersole of their boots. The path which had led them on for miles as they travelled only seemed to stretch further then the eye could see. Each twist and turn growing heavier on their motivations.

Regan pulled the strap across her chest, securing the broad sword to her back. Along with her pack it was the heaviest thing she owns. A cold weight against her spine. Growing up, her father taught her to wield a blade, It was a shame she had to kill him. 

It had taken her years to master the art of using her own body proportion to wield such a weighted weapon. The blade was almost as long as she. The pommel moulded into the shape of the family snake crest.

It sat proudly there, a symbol of her family ranking. Only obtained through the death of its previous owner. 

After travelling for a few months to meet with Theron, then continuing on to Wendlyn, her body was being ravaged by dull aches. Her knees were weak from the near constant hard surfaces they transverse over, following roads too overgrown to be walked regularly.

The path they were on now was no different, Theron leading the way in the form of a huge midnight black cat, the road stretches on, and with each step Regan had to compose herself in order to keep going.

They must be closer now, this walking shit was not for her. Too use to the warmth and terrain of the dry Red Desert, these wide stretches of woodland paths were putting her on edge. Her sensed blocked by the towering trees. Even with her demi- Fae senses she was struggling.

Theron, seemingly unbothered continued in his four legged form for most of their journey together. There was an edge to him, a sharpness Regan couldn't place, a nervousness that made the shifter restless.

When they sat for shelter at night, she had to bit her tongue to keep from asking, Not that she particularly cared. Out of the Pride members, the wandering spies were seen the least. Theron and his mate moving place to place with ease. It was no wonder why he showed no signs of struggle now with these long distances.

Taking a quick swig from her water pouch, she shook her shoulders, adjusting the straps hold on her body. The leather had begun to grow uncomfortable, ignoring the blisters were becoming more of an issue. Theron had offered to carry it for her one night whilst he watched her tend to the small stinging wounds.

She had outright refused then. No one got their hands on her sword, no one. Perhaps that had been stupid of her. Pride winning over all else.

Glancing down to her feet, she tried to avoiding bigger stones that awaited to dig into the soles of her feet, had been so focused with the task she hadn't noticed when Theron slowed before her.

Stopping behind the pony sized feline, Regan tried to tune her senses in as Theron shifted back to his preferred two legged form. His shoulder length dark hair shifting as he shook his head.

"What is it?" She whispered, the sound of her own voice was strange. She knew from previous meetings with him that Theron preferred to stay in the body of the big cat, something to do with being trapped in that from for ten years whilst magic was bound in Erilea. She allowed him the solace, but it left her alone to her thoughts beyond the small noises he would occasionally make to communicate.

"I think we're here."

She tried to reduce her relief, happy to finally finish walking. It became apparent of their new duties sure to await them.

Theron glanced sidelong at her, Regan had been so in her thoughts she hadn't given herself a second to glance ahead of them. Only when Theron gesture with a gentle nod from his head, in the direction the pathway led did she finally look up.