005: The tale of Dracul Doryu

"Arghhhhh!" A woman in labor yelled out as she pushed for the baby to come out.

"Almost there Queen Kayda, you can do this." The woman taking the delivery encouraged her.

Beads of sweat had formed on her head and her veins had stood up as she pushed with all her might. One last scream and the baby came out, crying loudly in the arms of the deliverer. 

"It's a boy! He's so beautiful." She smiled joyously. "Tell the people that the Queen has brought forth a boy!" She hollered to her assistant that guarded the entrance.

"Can I see him?" The Queen asked in a whisper-like tone.

"Of course your majesty." The woman placed the baby on his mother's chest and he instantly fell quiet. 

A tear streak from the Queen's eye rolled down and dropped on the baby's face. "You will be a great King Dracul…" her lips curved into a weary smile as her eyes fell shut slowly.

Instantly, the baby broke into tears again and the other woman went to collect him. "My Queen, are you alright?" Her eyes grew wider as a gasp escaped her mouth. "Queen Kayda! Queen Kayda!!" She yelled.

The baby's cries grew even louder in the arms of the woman and she began rocking him slowly. "No! My dear son…" She broke into tears. "Your mother has left us." She tried to control her emotions so the baby would feel at ease.

"Shaera! Is it true that--'' a man in royal attire said as he walked in. He paused, staring at Shaera who was in tears then shifted his gaze to the Queen who laid motionless on the bed then back at Shaera.

Shaera shook her head then bowed it slightly. 

"No…" He ran to the Queen. "Kayda…" A weary smile appeared on his face as he slowly caressed her face. Tears began falling down his eyes and unto her face. "Kayda darling, my lovely wife… I won't cry or mourn you because you are resting and I will see you soon." He lowered his face to hers and kissed her pale lips.

He stood up straight and stretched his hands to Shaera who instantly handed him the crying infant. "My son… Do not cry any longer, your mother is always with us." He forced a smile.

"My King she… my Queen had named him Dracul before passing on." She covered her mouth with her palms to subside the sound of her sobbing.

"Shaera…" He heaved a heavy sigh. "Do not be like this, Kayda only went to rest because she knew that someone like you is here to care for him."

"My king I cannot--"

He stared into her steel blue eyes. "I ask this of you not as the King but as a friend, please raise my son, be as a mother to him, I will be his father but he needs a mother in his life." 

Tears flowed down her emerald eyes as she stared into the king's red eyes. "I promise to do my best as his mother." She forced a smile.

★★★

Raising a child was not an easy task for Shaera but she took care of Dracul as her own for five years. 

King Ishmael had watched her care for his son and somehow started falling in love with her.

Five years after the death of Queen Kayda, King Ishmael couldn't hide his feelings for Shaera any longer.

"King Ishmael, you asked to see me?" Shaera bowed slightly as she walked into his chamber room.

"Shaera, come and sit next to me." 

She was hesitant before going to sit next to him.

"My dear Shaera, you have raised my son so well, Kayda will be so proud of you."

"Thank you my King, it is with great pleasure that I raised Dracul as my own." She smiled. 

King Ishmael placed his hand on Shaera's thigh and began slowly caressing it. "My King--"

"Shaera, I want you as my wife, to be my Queen."

"I couldn't do such to late Queen Kayda, she took me as a sister." 

"But she is gone and you are the woman that has always been there for me and our son."

"Which is why I cannot fulfill your wishes my King, she wouldn't be happy with me. It is very wrong for me to even be sitting next to you. I dedicated my whole life to serve the royal family even at the expense of me starting my own family. I was happy with that decision and I'm not ready to go against my promise to the late Queen Kayda." She attempted to get up but King Ishmael pulled her to his bed and tried to force himself on her.

"Mummy?" Dracul called out as he walked in on them. 

"Dracul!" Shaera exclaimed.

"Get out of here now! You little nuisance!" King Ishmael yelled out.

Dracul flinched as his father yelled at him for the first time. Tears welled up in his eyes and he ran out of the room.

"Dracul!" Shaera yelled out as she escaped from the King's hold and ran after him.

She followed him to the garden where he sat next to a little fountain. "My child." She forced a smile as she went to sit next to him. "Are you okay?"

"Was father hurting you?" He questioned with teary eyes.

"What? No! He wasn't, we were only playing with each other." 

"You were crying and you still are!" He frowned.

"No I wasn't and I'm not crying." She wiped off the traces of tears on her face and her lips curved into a weary smile. "I'm fine."

"I don't care if he is my dad or even the King, I'll always be here to protect you and fight for you."

She pulled him into a tight embrace and kissed his forehead. 

It wasn't the first time that King Ishmael had tried to assault Shaera and it wasn't going to be the last. 

On a very unlucky day which happened to be Prince Dracul's fourteenth birthday, King Ishmael once again tried his luck with Shaera in the castle's library.

"Shaera, you don't have to feel guilty." King Ishmael squeezed her in a tight embrace, his hands traveling to places they shouldn't be.

"Please no!" Shaera screamed, struggling.

"Let her go!" A voice yelled from the other side of the room.

"Dracul!" Shaera yelled.

"Shut up boy! She's not even your real mother!" King Ishmael exclaimed.

"I said let her go!" His eyes turned as red as flame as his brows furrowed.

King Ishmael stared at his son with shock. "You have tampered with the devil's soul!" 

Dracul roared, mightier than a lion's and king Ishmael was sent across the room. Flames accompanied his loud roar and the burnt remains of King Ishmael landed on the ground.

Shaera was dumbfounded as she stared at Dracul, her heart seemed to have seized as she struggled to breath.