Chapter 3: The Crow's Family

Lanz: She's... my niece?

Asked the Vigilant Crow both to himself and to Gerald while staring at the shy little girl, still standing by the door way.

Gerald: Yup. She's 7 years old. And her name is Meilla. 

Lanz: Meilla?

Gerald: Mei here wanted to name our baby Meilla if it turns out to be a girl. Also because she wanted to have a daughter who has the same name as hers... sort of. 

Gerald stated as Mei looks back at their daughter as she then says...

Mei: Come on sweet heart. Don't be shy...

Lanz looks back at his niece, Meilla and watches as she nervously walks into the kitchen room and makes her way to her mother all the while staring at the Vigilant Crow. Not out of awe though, but out of anxiousness. As soon as Meilla made it past the Vigilant Crow, she hurriedly ran towards her mother and hugs her side, catching by surprise.

Mei: Oh! Honey, be careful! You could have gotten me hurt.

Mei said as she chuckles while looking at her daughter. Lanz was weirded out by the way she behaved as he raises a brow at her.

Gerald: Don't mind her, kid.

Lanz looks back at his brother who continues saying...

Gerald: Our daughter here gets nervous to people she doesn't know visit here.

Lanz: I...see...

Mei: Meilla, sweetie. Don't be so rude to our guest. Especially this one. Come on, introduce yourself to your uncle.

Mei said as she waits for her daughter to do as she was told to. Meilla slowly looks at the Vigilant Crow and stares at him for a brief moment before saying...

Meilla:...Hi.

She greeted before hiding herself by digging her head into her mother's arms who then  caresses Meilla's head for comfort.

Gerald: See? Nervous.

Lanz: Right...

Mei: Really sorry about that.

Lanz: No, it's... fine. I'm kind of used to people being nervous around me. Let alone understand the reason why...

Lanz said jokingly as he chuckles while rubbing the back of his head. Mei looks at Gerald and gives him a look that makes her say "Is he serious?". Gerald notices this and just shrugs in response. Mei rolled her eyes and shook her head before her smile returns as she then says...

Mei: Well, with all questions aside, now that our daughter's here, I think we should continue eating.

Lanz: R-Right. Of course.

Lanz said as he began to eat the meal in front of him. And instead of eating like a hungry savage beast like he is, he starts to eat his meal slowly and in a proper manner at that. As Meilla sits down with her mother, Gerald, Mei, and their daughter starts eating as well.

As all four of them eat the meals on the table, Lanz can't help but feel nervous and awkward. Even though he's with his Gerald and his two family members, he just can't shake the feeling of awkwardness in the room. As Mei chews her food, she notices the nervous look on Lanz's face.

Mei: Lanz? What's wrong?

Lanz: What? Oh! N-Nothing ma'am, it's just... I haven't really had a meal like this.

Mei: What do you mean? Don't you eat anything before coming here? Even before Beacon fell?

Lanz: N-No, it's not that it's just... I'm not really used to having a meal with people whom I'm slightly related with. Especially if I'm eating the meal with my relative's family... you know?