Chapter 2: A Walk Up Memory Lane

Listening to his heartbeat, Abraham recalls specific memories of his son, Ricky, with every step that he takes when walking up to his son's room.

"Step one, I am recalling the first day that I received Ricky Alfredo Diana Cortez in my arms while at Adelante Major Hospital. It was the first time that I thought to myself. This is my first-born that God gave to me! He is my son! What a joy and a privilege it was to see his brown eyes, his tan skin, and his cone-shaped head. This is my son whom I love, and I am well pleased."

"Step two, this marks the two first years of my son's life. He is learning to walk, talk, and eat. He has kept me and my wife (Angela) up most of the night; however, I knew that it was those sweetest moments that I could read to him and/or have Angela sing him to sleep. Lord, forbid me from ever having to sing to my son Ricky again. You know that I am always sharp when I try to sing high!"

"Step three marks the time when all hell broke loose! We could not keep up with him when he was three or four. He kept jumping on the furniture, bumping his head, getting stiches, and running wherever he went! Oh Lord thank you so much for the babysitters that took care of him when Angela and I had to work to pay the extra hospital bills. It would have been a lot easier if I had patched things up with my dad so that he could baby sit him."

"Step four marks the day when my son turned five, and he was ready to go into kindergarten. I did not want him to go to school yet; however, I knew that Vermillion Ship Academy was going to give him a firm foundation. I knew that he was ready to go but I and Angela were not. When school was over, I treated my son to ice cream. Though he liked going, the ice cream was also for me, because I wanted to pick him up as soon as class ended. Angela, honey, I am sorry that I had him eat ice cream that day! That's why he could not fall asleep!"

"Step five marked my son's primary school years at Vermillion Schip Academy. My son, Ricky, used to share everything with me. He wanted to sit on my lap and have me read to him. He and I also would enjoy each other's company working in the garden and planting some flowers. At seven, I also introduced my son to the sport of racquetball. I am so glad I did because it showed him discipline and how to control his temper!"

"Step six marked the rite of passage when my son turned eight and started to learn the art of talking. I am not sure where he got it from, but it certainly was not from me. Third grade was challenging because he had to take summer school."

"Step seven marked the grades from fourth to fifth grade, and it was quite a trial for him. He always succeeded in spelling and classroom work but did not perform so well on I.S.T.E.P. Personally, I believe this test was not an accurate picture of my son's spelling and writing skills. I knew that he was his goal to be on the spell bowl team in fourth, but missed it by a few words; however, I am glad I pushed him until 10:00 p.m. to practice his spelling words fifth grade. That allowed him to earn a spot on the spell bowl team! And he got all his words right at the competition!"

"Well, enough already! Let me take my next step here on these stairs, which is now step eight. This is where my baby entered the sixth grade! I knew that this was a big jump for him because he would have more homework and would receive his first locker! It took him a while to open his locker, but succeeded on the third try. There were a lot of activities that my son would have participated in, but he chose choir!" "Math, I know was not his favorite subject because of the story problems! Ricky, my son tried his best in all subjects and had a mixture of A's, B's, and C's. I know during this time Ricky often had problems comparing himself to the other students in gifted classes because they had interesting projects; nevertheless, Ricky always got through sixth grade."

"As I take step nine up these stairs, I remember the day that Ricky almost got straight A's in seventh grade! There was just one subject that was giving him problems: it was art! His art teacher graded the projects like a college professor! Lord, I hope he knew that I was proud of him! For this reason, Lord, I am so blessed that I have my helper Angela who can comfort and remind him how special he is! I know Lord that I did not make it to any of Ricky's choir programs due to work, other obligations, and my problems with crowds1. I hope that Ricky enjoyed the seventh grade! There was that one English teacher, Miss Mandy, that allowed him to just write! That is where Ricky truly found himself! Ricky really enjoyed that English class because he got an "A" every time! Lord, how I wish Ricky had Miss Mandy eighth grade because she really brought the best out of him and had a lot of projects for him to do!"

"His English teacher in eighth grade, as I take this tenth step, was a nightmare for him! It was all about reading and writing without purpose, and the I.S.T.E.P. Some of the questions on the I.S.T.E.P. were questionable and did not make sense to him! Ricky, how I wish the school would have allowed you to use a computer to write your essays for the I.S.T.E.P, because we knew that your fingers were quicker than your hand with a pencil, but that was how Adelante Junior High did these things back in 1997. Your eighth-grade teacher did not assign you any creative writing assignments, but it was time for you to do research papers. I am sorry that I was not there to help and support you. I had to work and provide for the family! Your mother did the best that she could! She was there every step of the way while I worked and worked to provide for the family! You, Ricky, you are your own person, and you need to figure out what strengths and weaknesses you have! So, we now know that you do not do well in math and reading; however, you did happen to take up Spanish easily! You also have a great work ethic, which, will take you far in life."

"And so, with this thought Ricky, I am now not taking step eleventh and remembering your time in the ninth grade! It was a year of great changes and challenges! You were asked to read complicated literature like that of William Shakespear! Mom had to help you act out some of the plays like Romeo and Juliet. Quite certainly, my son, I never stood why they used so many "thou's", "shall's", and "thee's" back in his time, but I guess it was their way to entertain or confuse themselves."

"Speaking of which, math is so confusing with the letters and formulas! It sounds like a made-up language! Maybe I should invent my own math called abegebra Well, Lord that is besides the point! I think you did well in algebra. Not sure where and when you are going to use it, but you got straight A's in it. In fact, you got a reward for your effort in math and Spanish your freshman year; however, math is not all what it seems to be when it comes to geometry-thus I am now taking the twelfth step to tenth grade, aka your sophomore year."

"Your sophomore year, especially, was a challenge for you because you had to take geometry! You did not like this subject at all due to the proofs! And you were thinking, "Where in the world am I going to use this stuff in my life?" I guess that you could also apply that question to chemistry; however, there was Spanish again; however, it was much more intense with General Rice Man. He taught Spanish like an army and gave you a ton of work; however, I believe he saw something in you that you did not see. I know that your hand was probably tired from taking all the finals in Spanish, but you did happen to receive extra time. I thought your English class was going to be better, but it was not! How I wish Miss Mandy could have tutored you throughout your high school career! That preposition song that Miss Hague took a grade on was surely a waste of time; however, you always had racquetball to release your energy and frustration. And oh the tournaments that you won in that sport! My son! I was so proud of you when you won first place in Men's A in state singles, but again Ricky, you must keep in yourself in check about your racquetball skills! You probably won't go far as a professional racquetball player. I know that you look up to your mother as a teacher in the way that she has helped you with all your projects. You do have a niche for languages so maybe you should major in Spanish or American Sign Language! I know that I introduced you to sign language in the spring of this year and you took to it very easily. I would say may my son to trust in God and lean not on your own understanding! Make a list of your weaknesses and strengths my son, and now let's take the step thirteen."

"Step thirteen Oh Lord, marks where I am at! I and Angela have done everything in our power to raise him. Lord, I pray that you impart to me the words that I need to say. I pray that I will be receptive to Carlito's needs and that I have an open ear. I know that Ricky is slowly becoming a young man. Help me to speak words of life into his life while also giving him sound discipline and knowledge."