Retirement Doesn't Last Long

Rooster looked around and his heart jumped into his throat when he couldn't find Maddlyn. He searched the crowd, his worry building the longer it took for him to find her.

He let out a sigh of relief when he finally found her at the edge of the lawn, right where the artificial grass meets the sand. He jogged over, not slowing down until he got behind her.

"All people can talk about is your speech," he tried to say lightheartedly. He sighed when she didn't say anything. He knelt down and gently put his hand on her knee.

"You know I can't feel that," she mumbled.

"I know," Rooster said under his breath. He leaned up and kissed her cheek. "Did you feel that?"

He tried to laugh but Maddlyn didn't say anything. "What's going on, Mads?" He whispered.

"I just keep thinking," she mumbled.

"About what?" Rooster asked as he grabbed a chair and put it next to her.

"This."

As she glanced around, Rooster finally noticed that Maddlyn had tears streaming down her face.

"The funeral?" He checked.

"It was almost mine," she said, her throat tightening.

"Maddy," Rooster sighed.

"This was almost my funeral, Bradley," she choked on her tears. "Because of a stupid mistake, I almost made you and my dad plan this. My dad. . . I almost made him bury me. I almost made him bury his little girl. I almost made him bury the only family he had left!"

"Maddy," Rooster said gently. "The accident wasn't your fault."

"Yes, it was," she said with tears streaming down her face. "I shouldn't have gotten in the plane. There were other options. Other ways I could've gotten through to Hangman. I almost. . ."

When Maddlyn's sob got stuck in her throat, he threw his arms around her and pulled her into his chest.

"It's okay," he soothed. "It didn't happen. You're right here."

"I almost made you bury me," Maddlyn whispered. "And what's worse is you would've thought I died hating you."

"Actually," Rooster mumbled, "I would've lost you with you thinking I hated you."

Maddlyn tucked more into his chest, tears streaming down her face. Maverick was searching for his daughter and when he found her, his heart sank as he heard the tail end of their conversation. He started to walk away when he saw somebody else who overheard their conversation.

Hangman.

Instead of walking away, Maverick went over to Hangman. When he got caught, Hangman cleared his throat and fixed his suit coat.

"Sir," he mumbled.

"You could go talk to her."

"Yeah right," Hangman scoffed. He cleared his throat before adding, "I already tried to."

"True," Maverick elongated. "But the last time you went to talk to her, you were doing it to clear your own conscience, not for her. Something tells me that changed. So, go talk to her. I think there are some things you need to say and, more importantly, she needs to hear."

Hangman gathered up the courage and was just about to walk over to her when the two heard something that neither one was expecting to hear Maddlyn say.

"I haven't told my dad, but the admirals have offered me an honorable discharge."