Decisions and Consequences

"Captian Mitchell is no longer your instructor," Admiral Simpson started. No one agreed with the fact that they forced Maverick out. "And as of today, there are new mission parameters. Time to target is now four minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at a reduced speed. Not to exceed 420 knots."

The trainees knew that if they followed Admiral Simpson's rules and not Maverick's they weren't going to make it home. They looked at each other, all thinking the same thing: they needed Maverick back. Now.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept?" Bob asked, using a surprising amount of courage.

"What are the odds of surviving a head-on collision with a mountain?" Admiral Simpson shot back. "You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude, level with the north wall. Gonna be a little harder to keep your lase on target, but you will avoid the high-G climb out."

Admiral Bates looked around at the trainees sharing nervous glances.

"We'll be sitting ducks for enemy missiles," Fanboy mumbled to Coyote.

Before anyone could speak up or Admiral Simpson could explain how else he was going to get them killed, the monitor behind him started beeping. The admiral turned around to see the monitor showing an F-18 plane going through the course.

"Who the hell is that?"

"Maverick to Range Control. Entering Point Alpha. Confirm green range."

The group straightened up. They shared smirks and soft laughs.

"Uh, Maverick, Range Control, uh, the green range is confirmed," Range Control said slowly. "I don't see an event scheduled for you, sir."

"Well, we're going anyway."

"We?" Range Control asked. Just then, another F-18 popped up on the screen.

"Oh no," Rooster mumbled. "Please no."

"What?" Hangman asked, kind of already knowing what.

"Who's in that other plane?" Admiral Simpson demanded.

"Setting time to target: two minutes 15 seconds."

Rooster knew that voice.

"Is that. . ." Payback started to ask but didn't finish.

Anger filling him, Admiral Simpson grabbed the nearest walkie. "Lieutenant Phillips, what the hell are you doing up there?!"

"Wait," Coyote said, "did she say 2:15? That's impossible."

"Not for those two," Admiral Bates smirked.

"Final attack point," Maverick said.

"Maverick and Baby Mav inbound," Maddlyn added.

"You know the drill, Baby Mav," Maverick said. "I'll set the laser, you hit the target."

"Easy," Maddlyn laughed. "I'll follow your lead."

"That's why you're my favorite wingman, Baby Mav," he chuckled.

"Not to mention, your daughter," Maddlyn scoffed.

"I demand you return to base, Lieutenant Phillips," Admiral Simpson barked.

"No can do," Maddlyn said calmly. "You think it was easy getting in this thing? Plus, I'm already up here. I'm not going to leave the chance to prove you wrong."

The team didn't bother to hide their laughter at Maddlyn's response. Hangman couldn't help but sink in his chair as he listened to them. He wasn't sure how Maddlyn even got into the plane, but he did know that he was the reason she couldn't get in on her own.