Chapter Fourteen

(Author's note: The point of view (POV) always shifted between the author's POV and Sakura's POV only, so don't get confused since I wanted to make the story flow naturally)

When Sasuke and I rode the high-speed train home, the world outside rushed by in a blur. We were surrounded by a sea of people, yet our closeness transcended the confines of the crowded train. Sasuke's hand found its way around my waist, pulling me in until there was no space left between us. It wasn't the crush of commuters that caused this proximity, but a burning passion that had remained hidden for far too long.

When I arrived home, I found my father sitting at the kitchen table, looking disheveled and melancholic, a bottle of whisky in his grasp. The television droned on in the background, and I had only just walked in, still wearing my coat.

 The television droned on in the background, and I had only just walked in, still wearing my coat

My father gestured to the television screen, his voice heavy with sadness. "Take a look at this."

He picked up the remote control and flicked through the channels until they landed on the Home Shopping Channel. There, to my astonishment, was my mother assisting the flamboyant Julian, the very man whose presence had caused turmoil in our family. Julian spoke with a velvety voice, showcasing a gaudy pair of earrings.

Julian presented confidently, "Just over a centimeter in size, these topaz and diamante earrings with genuine lapis lazuli in a mock gold finish are an exact replica of those worn at Wimbledon in 1993 by the Duchess of Kent."

My mother chimed in, "And though they're ornate, they're perfect for day wear..."

Julian nodded with meaning and said, "Absolutely, Mebuki-san."

I was left in shock, my heart sinking at the realization that my mother had seemingly moved on with Julian.

I stammered, "Wait a minute - has Mama actually moved out?"

My father nodded, his eyes welling up with tears. "Yes, and it appears she's now with that tangerine-tinted buffoon. They're an item, and half of our friends have hosted them for dinner."

I felt a pang of guilt. I hadn't shared my suspicions about my mother's involvement with Julian with my father.

My father sighed, "Why do people, when they abandon their partners, pretend there's no one else involved? Do they truly believe it's less hurtful to imagine they suddenly couldn't stand the sight of you anymore?"