05 | I THINK YOU'RE THE FUCKING ANTI-CHRIST

NOT TOO LONG AFTER, THEY WERE ON THEIR WAY TO GERMANY. Natasha was piloting the quinjet, while Kato and Steve sat in the back, a tense silence between the three of them. Kato stared straight ahead as they flew, not making any eye contact with Steve. Though she appreciated his offer earlier, she knew she had to focus on herself. It was better that way. It was safer that way.

"Hey, Kato," Steve said, catching Kato's attention.

Kato turned to him with furrowed brows. "What do you want?" she snapped.

Steve's eyes went wide, clearly shocked by her coldness. But thankfully he didn't comment on it; instead, he shook his head and said, "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for intruding on you earlier. I promise I wasn't trying to upset you." He then gave her a hopeful look before saying, "But... my offer still stands, if you're still willing to take it."

Kato stared at him for a moment. She had to admit, she was touched by his concern. But now she was questioning why she had accepted his offer in the first place. Again, she had to focus on herself. No distractions.

"I think I can figure things out for myself, thanks," Kato retorted coldly, focusing her attention straight ahead again.

Steve frowned at her. "Kato-"

"I said thanks," Kato snapped, cutting him off and shooting him a glare. "So don't push it."

Steve shook his head with a sigh. But before he could comment, Natasha's voice caught their attention.

"Coming up on the drop zone, guys," Natasha said.

Kato sighed to herself, standing up as Steve put on his helmet. However, after a moment, Steve turned to her with another frown. "Where's your suit?" he asked.

Kato glanced down, regarding her T-shirt, flannel, and jeans. Then she looked up at Steve. "I don't need one," she told him.

Steve's frown deepened. "What do you mean, you don't need one?"

"I don't need a suit," Kato said, then added with a hint of scorn, "Unlike some people, I try not to draw attention to myself with a stupid-ass flashy costume."

Steve gained a slightly wounded look; her words had obviously hurt his feelings a bit. But Kato ignored it, facing the front again. And thankfully, Natasha spoke up again, drawing attention away from Kato.

"Guys," Natasha said. "Get ready. We're here." She peered out the window. "And it's mayhem down there."

Kato turned to Steve, raising an eyebrow at his attire. "Case in point. That suit is ridiculous."

Steve turned to Kato. "No, it's not."

Kato rolled her eyes. "My man, you look like a Star-Spangled Clown." She then muttered to herself, "Simpatichnyy mal'chik s bol'shoy golovoy."

Steve frowned at her for a moment in confusion, and Kato could tell he had no idea what she said. However, he didn't comment on it, instead fitting his shield on his arm as the ramp to the quinjet opened. "Listen up," he said to Kato. "From what Fury told us, Loki is dangerous, and doesn't care how many bodies he leaves behind. That means that we can't be fighting him until the area is clear. So we both drop, scout out the situation from a high vantage point. When we have Loki alone and the civilians have cleared, we'll engage."

Kato crossed her arms. "Yeah. That's a good plan and all." She then raised her brows and nodded at him. "But if it's all the same to you, I'm just gonna go kick his ass."

Then, without waiting for a reply, she opened the ramp to the quinjet and jumped out, flying out of the quinjet and ignoring Steve's shouts for her to wait.