One

When she emerged from the cab, she pulled her bag out of the trunk. She was wearing a peplum blouse and a black skirt; only her muddy sandals gave her a dull look. Taking a quick breath, she marched forward towards a gate that stood in all its splendor in the heart of the city. With her bag clutched in her left hand, she rang the doorbell with the other. As she waited for the gate to swing open, she beamed with hope and satisfaction. Nothing could take away this sweet smile of hers.

The gate swung open, and a man, probably in his 40s, appeared before her. Smartly dressed in a stylish housekeeper uniform, his face wasn't inviting. Still, it wasn't a reason to wipe off the smile on the face of this young woman.

"Good day, Sir," she greeted, but the response received was a long glare. If looks could kill, she would have fallen instantly.

"May I help you?" he asked.

"I am Mary Ejikeme, the new caregiver."

"Oh, I see. So, Miss Mary, tell me, were you also employed to ruin my job?" She was momentarily lost by his statement until she noticed his glare.

"Oh, sorry, Sir," she said, taking her sandals off, "it rained downtown."

Having been left barefooted, she felt slightly embarrassed. She trailed behind Morgan, the housekeeper, dragging her heels. She maintained a good distance, as if getting any closer to him would be lethal. She restrained herself, making sure not to swing her long arms or throw her long legs.

Fay, Mary's aunt and the house cook, was delighted to meet her niece. The plump woman ran to Mary, her flabby arms spread wide open, giving her a warm welcoming hug.

"Look at you, baby girl, you've grown taller," she said, snatching her sandals and bag.

  "Auntie, just a few inches," Mary replied, her smile growing wider.

  "You must be Mary Ejikeme?" At the sound of this voice, the room fell silent. Morgan straightened up, while Fay struggled to hide her excitement.

  "Yes, I'm the new caregiver," she answered respectfully, maintaining direct eye contact with Madam Ann, the client's mother, unlike the other two who couldn't lift their heads. Her smile still radiated boldly.

  Madam Ann was an upper-class and sophisticated middle-aged woman. Neither the magnificence of her mansion, nor the glittering of her enormous rooms, nor the gold necklace resting on her neck, nor the diamond earrings in her earlobes, nor the shiny ring on her finger, nor the expensive silk she was wearing - none of these glorious things could even buy her a smile. Her face was a mixture of sadness and frustration; one could tell from her eyes that she had been grappling with challenges.

  "I'm pleased to meet you, ma'am," Mary said, stretching out her hand, but it was sadly rejected. Madam Ann's glare fell on her, a glare stronger than Morgan's. As usual, she knew the glare was directed at her bare feet.
  "Follow me," Madam Ann ordered. Mary padded behind her, once again restraining herself and keeping a good distance. As they proceeded through the hallway, Mary's eyes fell upon a door left slightly ajar. Cheta, Madam Ann's careless and reclusive son, met her gaze. He hurled hurtful words at her, but Mary pretended not to hear. She followed her client's mother, who led her into a room.

It was love at first sight when Mary's eyes fell upon the tiny girl in a polka dot dress, sitting in a chair. The little angel's face was cast downwards, hiding her eyes. Something inside Mary stirred; she could barely move. If only she could lift the girl's face and look into her eyes. Those eyes must be angelic and filled with love and hope.

"She's Nadine, my daughter," Madam Ann broke the silence. Mary's feet pressed hard against the tiled floor, stopping in front of the girl. Upon noticing Mary, the girl remained tight in her chair, avoiding eye contact and becoming uncomfortable in the presence of this stranger. Mary was mesmerized. She felt a bond between them, a bond beyond the physical. These thoughts curved Mary's lips into a smile. Mary stretched out her hand towards the little girl's face...