Seven

Fay's donut bun hair was adorned with a white feather fascinator embellished with white pearls, which matched the black pearls on her black lace top. Fatigued, Fay accused Morgan of intentionally leaving them outside to dry under the sun. They had been standing outside for approximately ten minutes. Finally, Morgan opened the door and briskly passed by Kachi and Mary at the entrance, barely acknowledging their presence.

"You look like you've lost weight at church. How was the service?" Morgan said, half mockingly.

"Get out of my way, you bully, or I'll sit on you," Fay retorted, shoving Morgan aside as if he were weightless.

"I'll go take this off. The heat is killing me," Kachi stated, referring to her full-sleeve blouse.

"Father Lord!" Mary stumbled but quickly regained her balance. She adjusted her long gown, which was covering her worn-out heels. One of the thin ankle straps on her heel had split apart, almost causing her to twist her ankle.

"God!" she exclaimed in frustration, taking off her heel. "Well, bless me. It split at home." She reached for the second heel but paused as her phone began to ring from her purse. She took it out; it was Silanzene calling.

"Hello," she answered, juggling her barefoot and heeled foot, seemingly oblivious to the difficulty.

"Happy Sunday," Silanzene's voice came from the phone. "I received your message last night."

"I'm trying to monitor her progress, but it's difficult. She's conflicted. One part of her responds well to therapy, while the other part rejects it."

"You know she has severe autism. It takes time..." Mary sighed, leaning against the railing, lost in thought. "Are you there, Kanwa?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I hope you haven't forgotten where we're placing our hope, huh?"

"I know it's not in therapy. It's in Jesus. I know, but..." Mary complained but stopped mid-sentence, collecting herself. "Just that it's been a month now."

"Well, stop counting the days and start counting the miracles. Start with the little things and thank Him."

"Yes, ma'am." Mary sank onto the landing, removing the other heel.

"Will you say that all this time there's nothing to thank God for?"

"She has reduced hand flapping, she eats different meals, and she points at things," Mary lowered her voice to avoid being overheard by the walls, "but her mother doesn't think it counts, and she thinks I'm such a failure." She stood up, holding her heels in her hands, and tiptoed down the hallway, as she did when she first came here.

"Ahhh, I see. Your ego and personality are at stake, huh?" Silanzene remarked, but Mary remained silent. Guilt flashed across Mary's eyes. "You can't do God's work while holding onto your personality or ego. God's work appears foolish to natural people, so you'll be accused of being stupid. And if you're embarrassed by that, you won't go far."

"Even if it takes time?"

"Even if it takes time."

"Thank you, Ya. I appreciate your time."

"Anytime." Silanzene hung up. Mary rested her forehead against Nadine's door, absorbing the conversation like a pill. She grasped the doorknob and pushed it open. The sight of the room overwhelmed her, causing her to inhale sharply. She couldn't identify the exact mix of emotions flooding over her—whether it was anger, frustration, sadness, or all of them at once. She closed the door, slumped against it, and let out a deep exhale, as if she were running out of breath. She gazed at Nadine, perched quietly on the edge of her bed, playing with her rag doll and teddy bear.