○ nine ○

| Ezra |

My phone beeps as bullets fly from my gun and land on the red bulls-eye of one of the targets. I ignore it, continuing the steady pace of my shooting. It rings and I sigh, throwing the gun on the table and turning around to pick it up.

"What?"

"I'm sorry. I can't go today. I have an urgent lead to track."

"She might need clothes just as urgently, Anna."

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. You go with her then."

"Do I look like I'd be any good at shopping? Fuck no. Just take her tomorrow."

"Take her today. The poor girl needs something to wear."

"Anna, please. I have more important things to do than braid her hair."

"If I don't see a complete wardrobe in her closet by the end of today, you're done for."

She ends the call and I breathe out in frustration. A man can hold his ground to many things but the demands of his older sister. I roll the sleeves of my shirt back down and put my coat on, going in search of the brunette that I shoved in my office and forced Damien to babysit.

When RTA unlocks the door, I sigh at the sight in front of me.

Damien is bound to the chair with duct tape, arms and legs taped to the handrests and backbone of the chair respectively. A clean slate of tape has been placed over his mouth and when he sees me, he wiggles impatiently, mumbling frantically over the tape with bewildered eyes.

On the desk sits the princess, building a house with a deck of cards. She looks up at me.

"Sorry about the man. He was talking too much and it was a little too easy."

I give her a short glare, even though I'm mildly amused that Damien was so easy to tie. I drop down to get the newly abducted knife from her boot.

"How did you even know that I took that?"

"Given your track record?" I raise an eyebrow at her. When I open the desk drawer, sure enough, a knife is missing.

Using that same knife, I cut Agent Dupont out from his bonds and drop it back into the drawer. I knew Damien was mediocre at best, but really, I didn't expect him to go down that easily.

"She seduced me, the witch!" he complains in a French accent.

"And you fell for it?" I cock my head.

"Well- she- I- She can be very persuasive."

I look at her, tracing my eyes over her honey sweet features. I don't doubt that for a second. She probably knows to use that tool.

"I'm sorry," she looks up at me.

She's not.

I pause to contemplate the obvious weakness I've found.

"Damien, double your workout hours. Can't have you fighting like a cunt."

"I genuinely can't believe Chagrin makes me work with you."

With a final glare at the girl, he leaves the room.

Her concentration is focused on putting the final card on top of the house. I lean my hands on the table, blowing lightly so the entire house collapses.

"I'm going to kill you."

I almost smile at her overconfident insinuation.

"What do you want?" she asks when I don't speak.