○ seventeen ○

It's a Saturday, and when I peek into Ezra's room at ten in the morning he's gone. The house is empty, except for ECHA of course. Despite my recent imprisonment and the actual shitshow my life has been the past month, my heart feels lighter this morning.

I take a long shower, lathering my hair with oils and my body with moisturisers, and after all that, change into a matching pair of new pajamas, tie my hair up into two braids, and head downstairs.

"ECHA, play some Latin music, please."

An upbeat Spanish song starts playing and I swing my hips to the rhythm, impressed but not surprised at the surround system the penthouse has. I pour myself a bowl of cereal and chug a glass of orange juice as I watch a random comedy show I find hanging around on one of the channels.

When the door makes a beeping noise and pushes inwards I stop in my steps, cereal spoon halfway to my mouth as a sweaty, compression T-shirt-wearing, grey sweatpants-clad Ezra walks through the door and pauses in his tracks. He stares at me for a second, his eyes darting around the house as he inspects the fluffy blanket I stole from my room on the couch, the bowl of cereal in my hand, and the loud Spanish music playing. He blinks once as if he can't quite comprehend what he's seeing.

I don't really blame him. I've basically been thrown into his life and now he has to watch me ruin his Saturdays too.

"Turn that shit off." He throws his keys onto the counter, leaning against it while I tuck my legs under me and turn back towards the TV.

"Nope."

"It's loud." He deadpans.

I turn it down by one degree.

"What the fuck are you watching?"

"Friends. It's kinda funny."

He continues watching me for a second, his eyes glancing around as if making sure this is still his house.

"Anyway, I was wondering if I could go somewhere today."

"Fuck no. You're still on house arrest."

"If I left once I'll definitely find a way to do it again."

"I spent a shit ton more money doubling the security system of this house so your annoying arse doesn't try anything stupid again."

"Once again, you severely underestimate me."

He seems to reconsider because he drops down onto the sofa next to me and crosses his arms, biceps bulging as the people on the TV fight to capture a monkey.

A moment's silence passes.

"Fuck it, I'll just take you."

I grin at the mental image of where we're going and the fact that he's going to go there.

"It's a carnival nearby. You're going to love it!" I smile sarcastically as he groans.

"Offer's off. Watch this shit the whole day, I don't care. I'm not going to waste my time at a carnival."

"If you take me, I'll never ask for anything ever again. It's only there for a month and I've been dying to go since I was little. And I will sneak out."

He ignores me.

"We're going."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"No."

"Yes."

"Hah, gotcha."