V | Thorne's Manor

You are far too smart
to be the only thing
standing in your way.

~Emelisse~

Tusk Iron gates stand upon me; taunting me with its noble strength and power.

So daunting. So compelling.

And so dire to the eye.

I slightly take a step forward; the crunching underneath my shoes disappearing and slowly turn into a subtle thrumming. Echoing throughout the night.

Gathering every ounce of dignity I have left I take a haughty stride towards the menacing iron gates. The 12 foot wall of metal peers above me, looking down at me with potency and confidence.

Lifting my right hand with a slight shake I grip onto the cool metal bars, gently tugging them towards me.

My gaze drifts upon the dreary night and shivers run down my spine. Wherever this place leads me to I just hope that I'll find no hostility in it. Mist coated the land of secrets. Hiding this place from salient eyes and correspondents.

My intuition knows far too well that if I stay here, another unidentified sound will occur and result into something far from okay.

So with all my might my right leg makes the first move and with a quick observation of my new surroundings I soon bring my left leg forward to join my right.

Every step I take, trees seem to line the driveway the further you go. Giving it a warm welcoming to the new on bringers.

This place is so hidden that it would even put little red riding hood to shame if she ever tried to find it and it has me wondering if the government would even consider this would be any sort of map let alone a satellite.

My father used to threaten me with the power and greed, saying that if I ever tried to escape I would be confined to stay at home for the rest of my life.

With him for the rest of my life.

Flashback

Running was never an option for me.

Rest assured even in my wildest most exhilarating dreams it will never happen. If I were to and I got caught...my life is done for.

Completely and utterly ruined and destroyed.

Present day

My eyes flinched out of the dazed state only to widen at what stands directly above me.

A manor stood at the far edge of the yard, just peering over the maple trees that swayed gently beside it.

My mouth was agape. What a glorious sight...

I am completely and utterly captivated by what's in front of me.

Something so beautiful.

So dangerous.

As I hold my gaze for forever how long a loud chirp of a bird shocked me into reality.

Gasping, I come to the realisation that maybe, just maybe. This place was as abandoned as it seemed.

With my hands spread open to the sides of me I walk slow paced. Careful not to step on anything I shouldn't. The blood from the harm I caused now dried up.

Crunch.

Crunch.

Crunch.

My feet hurt from all the uneven ground but my heart was pounding with anticipation.

Three more steps.

Two more steps.

One more step...

Tears filled my eyes at the thought of seeing something hospitable for the first time in three days.

A warm feeling came over me but was soon washed away at what I'm witnessing.

Big dark brown oak wooden doors peer above me.

So frightening.

So menacing.

And the fear that struck me was inevitable, eating me away at every millisecond I waited. My eyes blink with curiosity while my conscious blinked with peril.

Something so frightening but exhilarating was stirring within me...and I don't know what it is.

____

I would've loved for this chapter to be longer but unfortunately it isn't.

Thank you for reading!!

[634 words]

____