prologue

"Are you sure you have to go back to Shorehaven for the summer?" Florentina puts on her sad face and nudges Summer with her leg as the two girls eat together on Summer's bed. She has to take her acting skills to the next level so her best friend doesn't figure out what she's planning.

Summer looks sad too except her sadness is genuine (unlike Florentina's). "I'm sorry, Flo, but we can FaceTime and text every day, I swear!" After taking a bite of her burger she continues on, "Plus it's not like we'll never see each other again. I'll be coming back to New York at the end of summer." Little does she know, Flo started plotting to surprise her by joining her in Shorehaven since she turned 18 a few months ago.

Flo crumples up her empty wrapper and throws it into the makeshift trash bag— the fast food bag— before groaning and falling back with her head on Summer's stomach. "That's going to be in, like, five more years!" She has to put in all of the effort she can muster to keep her sad face on as she tilts her head up to look at her friend's face.

Swatting her on the head, Summer narrows her eyes at the brunette. "You're so dramatic. Here, put this in so we can calm down." Flo grabs the earbud out of her hand and puts it in her ear as Summer does the same with the other earbud.

The music starts playing in their ears and it's not long before the two teens start to doze off. Although, it doesn't last long when Summer's mom shouts upstairs to them and they snap awake, "Summer, the car's here! Flo, don't forget that you can stay as long as you need!" A fond smile quirks her lips upward at Margo's words. When she turned 18, Flo was officially kicked out of the foster system and started staying with the Torres family until she could find a place of her own that satisfied her.

"Oh my God, I have to go!" Summer scrambles to grab her bags while also going in for a hug from Florentina. "I love you, stay safe and please, Flo, make good decisions while we're gone." Pulling back from the hug, Flo rolls her eyes even though she knows all too well how bad her choices usually are.

She borderline shoves Summer and Margot out of the door after finishing their goodbyes before turning around and huffing. Rubbing her head as if trying to make the procrastination disappear she mumbles to herself, "Shit, I still have to pack."

Edited

Edited.