Chapter Two: SEES and The Dark Hour

After a whole week of waiting for Makoto to wake up, the blue haired teen slowly opened his eyes as he saw he was in a room as he heard Yukari's voice beside the bed. 

Yukari: Are you awake?! *sighs* How do you feel? 

Makoto: Where am I? 

Yukari: The hospital. It's about time you woke up! I thought you were gonna sleep forever! 

She said as she took a seat on the chair beside the bed as Makoto was still tired. 

Yukari: Still, I'm glad you're okay. You really had me worried! 

Makoto: Worried? 

Yukari: Look, I'm sorry I wasn't able to do anything to help on the roof. I was told to protect you, but I… 

Makoto: Don't worry about it. I wasn't counting on you. 

Yukari: What's that supposed to mean?! You sure know how to make a girl mad… 

She groaned, annoyed with Makoto's words before she took a breath and continued speaking. 

Yukari: Sorry to spring this on you all of a sudden, but I'm like you. The thing is I've heard about your past. Your parents died in the explosion here ten years ago, right? 

Makoto: Yeah. 

Yukari: I lost someone, too. My father died in that accident. I hated having you at a disadvantage like that, so I've been itching to tell you. I'm sorry I hid it from you. All the other stuff, too. 

Makoto: Other stuff?

Yukari: When you get back to the dorm, I think they'll explain everything to you. You can decide what you want to do after that. Take care. 

She said before leaving the room as Makoto glanced up at the ceiling in silence. And the next day after school, Yukari led Makoto up to the command room where the others and Masato were waiting for them. 

Mitsuru: Come in. 

Makoto entered the large room as he spotted Akihiko, with his right arm in a cast as he was sitting on the small cushion as Mitsuru sat on the large couch and Masato was leaning against the wall as Ikutsuki sat in the large chair. 

Ikutsuki: Okay, let me start off by asking you this… Would you believe me if I said that a day consists of more than 24 hours? 

Makoto: No. 

Mitsuru: Do you remember the night you came here? You had to have noticed the signs… The streetlights went out… Nothing was working… There were coffins everywhere… Didn't it feel like you were in a different time…? That's the Dark Hour-- a time period hidden between one day and the next. 

Makoto: I don't get it. 

He replied as he was confused and bored with the explanation while Masato agreed with him. 

Masato: Just give him a shorter explanation for that. 

Ikutsuki: I know how you two feel. Who would believe such a story? But, the Dark Hour occurs each night, right at midnight. It'll happen tonight, and every night to come. 

Akihiko: Normal people don't realize it, since they're all sleeping inside their coffins. But that's what makes the Dark Hour so interesting. ...You both saw those creatures. We call them "Shadows." They only appear during the Dark Hour, and attack anyone not in a coffin. It's our job to defeat them. ...Sounds exciting, huh? 

He finished with a smile as Mitsuru stood up, quickly annoyed with the gray haired senior. 

Mitsuru: Akihiko! Why are you always like that? You just got hurt the other day!