Chapter Nineteen: Aftermath

One day after defeating the two Shadows and Shinjiro being killed by Takaya, SEES sat in the theater in silence as the other students were confused by the funeral being held as the principal began his eulogy.

“No words can express the sense of loss we feel as a result of this terrible tragedy. He had a lifetime of opportunity ahead of him… As educators, we are to blame for ignoring his silent calls for help. We lost him to violence before we had a chance to help him realize his true potential… Forgive us… Forgive us for our negligence…” 

He started as he continued with the eulogy as the members of SEES were the only ones heartbroken as Makoto and Junpei overheard some upperclassmen speak badly of Shinjiro. 

Yukari: …. 

Makoto: … 

Junpei: … 

Aigis: …. 

“Will the speech ever end…? I don’t even know who this Aragaki guy was…” 

“I heard he never came to school. …Prolly just some punk. Anyway, I gotta get home… I have to study for my mock-exam."

The second senior said as they turned towards Makoto as he looked at them with eyes wet from crying as Masato, who was in the other row noticed what was happening. 

“Hey, you guys know who Aragaki is? Wait, you’re not seniors, so how would you know? Anyway, can you believe this? Scary, huh?” 

Makoto: I guess. 

“Yeah, seems like he was a no-name. Man, when is this gonna end? I don’t have time for this.” 

The senior said getting bored by the funeral as Junpei couldn’t take it anymore as he slowly stood up as he glared at the senior before speaking. 

Junpei: Shut up… …… 

“Huh? …What’re you doing?” 

Junpei: I said shut up!!” 

He shouted as his voice was loud enough to get the attention of everyone there as their teacher just sighed and told him to sit down as the cap wearing teen huffed before sitting back down. 

Yukari: Just ignore them, Junpei… Hey… Have you seen Akihiko-senpai today? 

Makoto: Nope. 

Yukari: He was absent this morning… I wonder if he’ll show up at all. I hope he’s okay…  

She mumbled worried for Akihiko as they sat in silence listening to the last part of the eulogy as it was lunch break, Masato joined the three as there were no classes today. As the three boys were busy talking, Yukari was about to leave the classroom but stopped as Mitsuru entered the room, as her presence scared some girls as they moved out of the way. 

Mitsuru: Can I talk to you for a moment? 

Masato: Sure. 

Mitsuru: When you get back today, please meet me in the lounge. You know what it’s regarding. 

Yukari: Yeah… 

Mitsuru: I don’t expect you to have collected your thoughts. In fact, I am still at a loss myself… I’ll see you then. 

She said as she walked out of the classroom, and once she was gone Junpei turned to the others, frowning knowing who she was talking about. 

Junpei: It’s about Ken, huh… *sigh* This’ll be a fun meeting… 

As the four left school, the theater where Shinjiro’s picture was still on the small table full of flowers of many different colors, Akihiko quietly opened the doors as he approached the table.