tale of two cities

Back when stars fell onto a red, cracked earth, and smashed into dust, there was nothing but hope and iron. As time flowed, so did the galaxy's silver promenade of starlight, and slowly, so did blood in our veins, haemoglobin and plasma and cells and the first breath of an oxygen-rich environment.

America existed before anyone was there to see it, and so did Europe and Asia and Africa and all of us... before it all, however it began.

Then a person laid hands, four fingers and a thumb on the earth, fingertips and nails into soft soil, palm on stone, on ice, on fire, and the world splashed into colour.

How wonderful it must be to be a nation, a parent and child all at once, the universe experiencing itself, joined by a thousand lovely voices and warm hearts, souls forged from every victory of humanity, your existence as a witness to the lives of a million people off to their own lives.

How cruel.

(A child's first and last cry.)

(The people who are left behind.)

(The ones who fall apart.)

(The soldiers who died for you.)

(The lives you took.)

How sad it must be to be a nation, made from the land and the feeling of the people, condensed and condensed until its will is a single diamond point. How painful it must be to be confused, to lose direction, to tear yourself apart.

How crushing it is to have once held families in your hands, where now you have nothing.

Adam Smith, author of "Wealth of Nations" was a man who died on July 17, 1790, in Scotland. In contemporary American education, he is taught as the father of modern economics, who pioneered the existence of the "laissez-faire" model, meaning "let go" in French, which sustains that a government intervention free market will be driven by the invisible hand, further known as "competition" between privately-owned companies, and that this spirit of contest will drive innovation and benefit all.

Ah, so was born the strands of the gold economy under America's two palms, and the rumbling pulse of money rushing under the nation, like an ugly blood, the ringing of electronic tallies in its eardrums: so was born The United States of America, " the greatest nation in the world ".

FADE IN:

INT. MYSTERIOUS DARKNESS 1991 - NIGHT

A man with his face obscured by shadow stands behind his wood desk, frozen as if in a flinching motion. His rolling chair is pushed away and spinning with the force of him jumping out from his seat. This man is the United States of America.

STATES

What...

The camera pans to his horrified face, then slowly directs the shot to his hands, which are trembling. His fingernails are trimmed too short. His trigger finger is calloused.

There is a giant, black fissure through the centre of the desk. The paperwork, from inside out, is dust to visible white ash pieces, which are comparably large. From above, the entire desk looks like a shattered mirror.

EXT. (FLASH-FORWARD)

The entire world splits into pieces and goes up in black fire. The disaster's epicentre is Washington, DC. All that's left of Earth is stardust and unfulfilled dreams.