Angels & Devils

I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party and I attended with my real face

- Franz Kafka

Edward Rosier leaned against the wall of the drawing room, swirling his fifth firewhiskey of the night in his glass. Ostara hadn't even begun yet, and he was well on his way to being toasted by the end of the night. He tipped the glass back and finished it off, then set it aside and ran a hand down the front of his crimson velvet suit. He straightened the collar of his black shirt, crimson tie, then looked down at the shine of his black shoes.

All dressed up and no one to see.

No one he wanted to see, anyway.

These fucking parties bored him to death of late.

Perhaps the guests' murmurings about the breaches would be interesting enough to hold his attention. He glanced around the room. Dolohov stood in a corner with his date, Alicent Bulstrode. He was fucking Walburga Black, the slytherin mattress, but she was attending with her fiancé Orion. They'd probably be arriving soon. Edward couldn't have cared less. It was nothing but a bloody charade, as much of his world was.

He cared very little in general these days.

He readjusted his mask, which was also crimson and had two horns, imitating the devil of the muggle world. Its horns poked up through his chocolate brown curls.

His old school friends all stood in various positions around the room, some drinking, some talking quietly. Some stood staring through the windows watching as the first guests arrived.

They were all waiting for Tom.

It was uncanny how Tom had become the thing which knit them all together.

They'd seen him collapse, and it was the first sign of humanity they'd witnessed in several years.

But only after a feat of nearly impossible magical proportions.

How had he done such a thing?

None of them had spoken since. They were too racked with fear.

They were beginning to realize that this was no schoolboys' club. Not anymore.

Tom was pushing the limits of what was possible for wizardkind... even for Dumbledore himself.

It was frightening, seeing that kind of power in action. Watching someone they'd known as a skinny, impoverished orphan suddenly become the most powerful wizard they'd ever encountered. Standing at his side as he stretched his power like a cord around them all, making it work, making it last .

Doing things that only Merlin had been rumored to have accomplished.

Rosier was the only one who had also witnessed Tom fly.