The Two Sisters and the Magic Mirror

There were once two sisters who lived in a small village. They were named Lila and Zara. Lila was kind and generous, but Zara was selfish and greedy. They both loved to look at themselves in the mirror, but they had different reasons. Lila admired her beauty as a gift from God, and she used it to help others. Zara envied her beauty as a curse from fate, and she used it to harm others.

One day, a mysterious merchant came to the village. He had a large cart full of strange and wonderful items. He said he was selling them for a very low price, but only for one day. The sisters were curious and went to see his goods. Among them, they saw a shiny silver mirror that caught their eyes. The merchant said it was a magic mirror that could grant any wish related to beauty.

Lila and Zara both wanted the mirror, but they had different wishes. Lila wished to share her beauty with the poor and the sick, and make them happy. Zara wished to take away the beauty of the rich and the healthy, and make them miserable. They argued over who should buy the mirror, but the merchant said he would only sell it to one of them. He said he would give it to the one who could answer his riddle:

"What is more precious than gold, more powerful than fire, more fragile than glass, and more lasting than time?"

The sisters thought hard about the riddle, but they could not find the answer. The merchant said he would give them until sunset to solve it, or he would take the mirror away. He left them with the mirror and went to sell his other items.

Lila decided to ask for help from her friends and neighbors. She went around the village and told them about the riddle. They all tried to help her, but none of them knew the answer. They suggested many things, such as love, faith, life, and wisdom, but none of them matched the riddle.

Zara decided to cheat and steal the answer from someone else. She went around the village and spied on people who were talking about the riddle. She hoped to hear someone say the answer, but none of them did. They guessed many things, such as fame, power, money, and magic, but none of them matched the riddle.

As the sun was setting, Lila and Zara returned to the merchant's cart. They both claimed that they had found the answer to his riddle. The merchant asked them to say it out loud.

Lila said: "The answer is beauty. Beauty is more precious than gold, because it cannot be bought or sold. Beauty is more powerful than fire, because it can warm or burn hearts. Beauty is more fragile than glass, because it can break or fade easily. Beauty is more lasting than time, because it can be remembered or forgotten forever."

Zara said: "The answer is envy. Envy is more precious than gold, because it drives people to do anything. Envy is more powerful than fire, because it can destroy or consume everything. Envy is more fragile than glass, because it can shatter or crack quickly. Envy is more lasting than time, because it can never be satisfied or quenched."

The merchant smiled and said: "You are both wrong. The answer is friendship. Friendship is more precious than gold, because it is priceless and rare. Friendship is more powerful than fire, because it can light or warm souls. Friendship is more fragile than glass, because it can be hurt or lost easily. Friendship is more lasting than time, because it can endure or transcend everything."

He then revealed that he was not a real merchant, but a fairy in disguise. He said he had come to test their hearts and minds with his magic mirror and his riddle. He said he was pleased with Lila's kindness and generosity, but he was disappointed with Zara's selfishness and greed.

He gave Lila a gift: he turned his magic mirror into a real one that reflected her true beauty inside and out. He said she could use it to spread joy and peace in the world.

He gave Zara a punishment: he turned his magic mirror into a cursed one that reflected her true ugliness inside and out. He said she could use it to see her own misery and pain in the world.

He then disappeared with his cart full of items.

Lila thanked him for his gift and hugged her sister. She said she forgave her for her envy and hoped she would change for the better.

Zara cursed him for his punishment and pushed her sister away. She said she hated her for her beauty and wished she would suffer for ever.

The sisters parted ways: Lila stayed in the village with her friends and neighbors who loved her; Zara left the village with no one who cared for her.