Mr David

I have managed to survive two weeks of school. I definitely deserve a round of applause. Throughout, I stayed out of everyone's hair, and successfully mind my business. Apparently, everyone was minding their business too.
      You know what? Let me tell you a secret. I'm an introvert alright. I might get nervous in crowds, but I love attention. Not the attention of all who pity me, or who want to know everything I've been through only to say, "... Well, I'm sorry about that." I like the attention that is genuine, heartfelt. Attention borne out of the need and persuasion to help. Anything else, and I'm lost. This, is exactly why I didn't push Mr David away.

"... school hours are over, you all can leave. Pi Zeke, wait behind". Great. I waited at my seat while the rest of the students shuffled out of the class. No matter how worn out everyone is, nothing beats the energy that comes after the closing bell. I raised my head to Mr David calling me to his desk.

"Alright pi, have a seat". I sat on the chair that was facing him. He took a moment to observe me. Ten year old boy of average height, full dark hair, nervously playing with his hands and looking down at his feet. Definitely a piece of work. "Look, pi," he began, "I want to help you. Not because I pity you, but because I want you to realize who you are and what you're capable of. I Know you're not dull or stupid, you don't just see the point anymore, do you? ".

Hearing that last part, I raised my head to look him in the eye. I knew it. He really gets me after all. "You know," he continued,"I saw your dad on the first day of school. He didn't look pleased at all. Now I'm guessing he's been giving you a hard time?". The look on my face said it all.

" Let's try something out okay? Kind of like an experiment. From now on, I want you to forget everything and anything  ,especially your dad; has told you. You are better than all that. Why not push forward and see how it goes?”

Wow. First, that was an incredible speech. Second,I was interested,but I wasn't sure I was ready. I really wanted a change, believe me. I was just scared. Of what? I'm not so sure. "I'll give you time to think about it all. This is really a great opportunity to show your dad and everyone else that you're better than what they see in you. You're so much more", he said, as if sensing my hesitance. I just nodded in response.

*********

The next morning went by in a blur. Me dragging myself out of bed, or rather, my mom dragging me out of bed, pushing me to shower and brush my teeth. The struggle continues as she tries to stop me from playing and focus on my food. She was definitely exasperated by the time my school bus was here, she was practically pushing me out of the house.

Soooooo, I'm here, in school, again. Yay!! This was definitely going to be a blast. For some reason,not that I noticed or anything, Mr David has been giving me attention indirectly. Today though, he looks slightly more bothered. Apparently, my wonderful father paid the school counselor a visit the other day,and Mr David was invited. Did the meeting go smoothly? Well, your guess is as good as mine.