L'inizio

She had never been an athlete, heck, was she even made for running? She didn't know, until that very morning. Her clock hadn't awakened her, and so, she was late for her first day of work. She was never, ever, late, and even during her job interview she had emphasised how impeccable she was when it came to being on time. So, what would her boss think of her, if she saw how late she was?

"Shit, shit! I'm going to be, so, fuck—," something, no, someone? Whatever it was, she hit her, hurting her nose and forehead.

"Oh Gosh! Are you okay?" A voice followed soon, Peridot's ears were able to hear that, as she did her best to not shout her thoughts down; only bad things would've come if she had said what she was thinking. Unfortunately, she had to keep it cool, for the sake of not getting a complaint.

"Watch where you—," she had lifted her head, only to meet her gaze with the most, perfect, woman she had ever seen; blue hair and, even deeper blue eyes, fine lineaments, and visage of so much purity, resembling the one of an Ancient Greek statue. Peridot had never felt this, nervous? In her heart there was never room for nervousness, so, was it strange to feel that way?

"Are you okay, you haven't said a thing. Want me to call an ambulance?" The woman kneeled to face Peridot; her concerned eyes spoke more than words could ever, why was she not saying anything?

"I'm, uh—," she got up, quickly, and suddenly, her face was all red. She was sweating, so much, and that had made the other woman worry even more. "I'm okay, just—! Watch where you are going. Next time, I won't be so kind." She pouted.

"'I'm so sorry! May I help you in some way?"

Peridot stared at her, was this woman for real? She was already so, late. How could she have helped her?

"Just, get fucking lost!" She screamed while beginning to run again, she had to make it, for sure.

She had made it. Just five minutes late. It was okay, everything was going to be okay, her first day was not ruined.

"Yo Peri! You made it," a voice that Peridot had, unfortunately, recognized, it was Amethyst, her – friend – who had suggested this job to her. She was grateful to her, indeed, but sometimes, Amethyst was too much to handle.

"Sorry, there was this girl who bumped into me, and made me fall."

"I see," Amethyst laughed loudly, "I assume you got angry and that's why you were late."

"More or less. Yeah."

Suddenly, everyone rushed to their positions, making a stomping sound that echoed through the walls of the room, and that alarmed Peridot, a lot, since when, even Amethyst, who was known to be lazy, had rushed to her position.

"Dude! What are you doin', go to your position, the boss's coming?!"

"WHERE'S MY POSITION?"

"HOW THE HECK WOULD I KNOW?!"

But it was too late. The boss had arrived. As she stepped in, Peridot recognized her blue hair. Oh no, oh Gods. Was she? No, she couldn't have said those words to her, to her, fucking, boss. With each step she took, each fear in Peridot was increasing.

She spoke. "Good morning, ever—," but she stopped, as soon as she saw Peridot.

"You!" She pointed to Peridot with her finger.

"G—good," she tried her best. "Good morning, boss."

"What's your name?" She sounded, pissed off? Well, it was the least, Peridot had said to get ~fucking~ lost, but she wouldn't have imagined that she was her boss. Who would've?

"I'm, uh. Peridot."

"Peridot, huh?" She smiled, why was she smiling? Oh Gods, was she plotting to fire her, was she taking pleasure in having the upper hand on her? Whatever it was, she deserved it. "I'm Lapis, Lapis Lazuli."

"Uh. Okay." Peridot said, quietly. And embarrassingly.

"Follow me to my office, I want to talk to you."

Peridot looked around, and she saw Amethyst, who was, laughing? Well, it was decided. She would've been fired that very same day.

"Peridot, uh?"

"Yes. Yes ma'am."

They were in her studio, Lapis' studio. It was big, big enough for four people, seeming to be like an apartment. Peridot adjusted her glasses, and coughed. She was so, so scared, trembling, shaking even!

She had to say something, anything.

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier, I— I didn't know you were a big fish! Shi—! I mean—."

Lapis laughed, and that euphonious sound had, almost, put her at ease Peridot, even if by a little.

"You're so weird. Fear not, I'm not angry. In fact, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am. I've taken worse hits by my roommate."

Again, she laughed. And Peridot smiled, nervously.

"You assumed I wanted to talk about firing you, am I right?"

"Well, yes?"

"No. I don't want to do that," Lapis got up from her chair, "instead," she cleared her voice only to look, directly, into the eyes of Peridot.

"Why don't you become, my, assistant?"

Peridot shook her head, what had she just said?