Chapter 3: The Poem

The past weeks have been quite busy. I have been attending lectures, AEC classes, and also dealing with society commitments. On top of that, our study group sessions have been going well. I've made five new friends through this informal group, and we meet up every day.

"Mujhe samajh nahi aata ki yeh Pallavi itni ajeeb si kyun hai, matlab hadram sarcasctic replies. Kabhi toh normally respond karlia kar," Keerthi expressed. ( I don't understand why Pallavi is so strange and always sarcastic. She never responds normally, it's always with sarcasm)

The others nodded in agreement. Riya continued, "Bhai sahi me yaar" (For real, bro.)

I don't think they are entirely wrong.. but there's a part of me that feels.. like her sarcasm is her way of protecting herself.. pushing people away. 

Then, Abhi and Pallavi returned with some printouts. They seemed to know each other from before and appeared to be very close. Since first day, she has been talking to him normally, but whenever she is talking to others, she becomes a bitch!

Neel: "Guys, what topic are you planning to choose for the assignment?" 

Keerthi: "Ahh, don't even talk about it! abhi toh college shuru hua hai, pehle mahine me kaun assignment deta hai bhyi?"  (College has just started, who in the world gives assignments in the first month?) 

Riya: "Bhai mujhe toh laga tha ki abb me apni life apne terms pe jiungi. Par hostel time pe wapas aao, class me jis seat se professor ko sunn sake uske liye subah jaldi bhaago, bacche kabhi class me chup hote nahi, phir isse pehle library se saari books issue ho jaye udhr bhaago or abb yeh assignments... pareshan kar ke rakh dia hai yaar."  

(Bro, I actually thought that now I would live my life on my own terms in the hostel, but it's the same. We have to be on time for hostel curfew, leave on time to get a seat in class where you can actually hear the teacher because classes are always full of chitchats. Then we have to go to the library to borrow books before they run out of study material. And now these assignments... ahh, I'm so tired)

Abhi: "Mujhe 12th class me wapas jana hai. kam se kam tab life me kuch toh control me tha. Ab toh pta nahi kya chal rha hai."   

(I want to go back to my 12th grade. At least back then, my life was under control. Now, I don't know what the heck is happening, man.)

Pallavi rolled her eyes, and finally chimed in, "Oh, come on guys! Assignments in the first month? How unexpected! I guess college just wants to make sure we don't have any free time to enjoy ourselves. Isn't that fantastic?" They all sighed.

With an awkward smile, I spoke up, "Well, there's nothing we can do about it. Let's delve deeper into these," I said, pointing to the printouts in my hand. The rest of the evening was spent in a collective attempt to decipher the confusing contents of those papers.

Next day, among the busy schedule, I have been feeling homesick lately, so I decided to take some time off and just video call my family. 

After hanging up the call. I felt a little better. And while I was sitting alone in our room, lost in thoughts of home, Pallavi unexpectedly entered the room. I said with a smile, "Skipping classes, huh?"

She replied, "The class ended early." I mouthed an 'oh' in response.

She took a small book from her side table and without saying a word, she quietly approached me and hesitated for a moment before handing it to me. "These poetries have always brought me comfort during tough times. I thought they might help you too," she said. And left the room.

I opened the book and something was written on the first page in her handwriting,

'In the darkness of the soil, the seed may feel alone,

But only by being sown can it become a tree, fully grown.

Right now, you are a seed, waiting patiently,

One day, you'll bloom and become a beautiful tree.'

This made me smile. I turned to the first poem and it read,

'Home may be distant, but you will find your way, 

Through trials and challenges, come what may. 

For in your heart, your loved ones reside, 

Their unwavering support, a constant guide.

For home may be distant, but their love is near,

A constant reminder that you need not fear.

So go forth, brave soul, and conquer the unknown,

With your loved ones in your heart, you'll never be alone.'

A sense of peace washed over me. So, after reading some more, I left the book on her table with 'Thank you' written on a note.

~~

Exhausted, I flopped onto my bed as soon as we reached our room. "My debate society starts tomorrow in hall no.1," I informed Pallavi, to which she simply nodded and sat at her study table, attaching sticky notes to her own printouts.

"Are you kidding me?" I exclaimed, frustration seeping into my voice. "Subah se toh padh rahe hai, or tujhe ab bhi padhna hai? Chal na kuch karte hai." (We've been studying all day, and you still want to study more? Come on, let's do something.)

"Kya matlab 'kuch'?" (What do you mean by 'something'?) she looked at me with those mesmerizing hazel eyes.

I was taken aback, feeling a rush of strange emotions. "I meant, um, just casual chit-chat," I stammered, swallowing nervously.

She nodded. A smirk appeared on her face as she gracefully rose from her seat. With an elegant stride, she approached me, leaned in, and locked her gaze with mine, crossing her arms over her chest. "So, why are you stumbling over your words?" she asked, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

I was utterly bewildered. "Huh?" I managed to utter.

She smirked and settled onto her own bed. "Kya baat hai?" (What's the matter?) she asked, her face displaying frustration as she rolled her eyes.

"How is it that you can be so stunning one moment and incredibly annoying the next? Did you take a course on how to be both a goddess and a bitch simultaneously?" I blurted out, unable to contain my confusion and frustration.

Pallavi chuckled and shot me a playful smirk. "Oh, I apologize for my impeccable ability to be both stunning and annoying. It's a talent I've been honing for years," she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "But hey, if you're feeling overwhelmed by my goddess-like presence, I can always tone it down a notch. Wouldn't want to cause you too much distress, now would we?" She raised an eyebrow, clearly enjoying the banter.

I squinted my eyes, a mix of annoyance and a slight smile appearing on my face. "Well, well, Pallavi, you really know how to keep things interesting, don't you?" I replied, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "It's quite fascinating how you can be both irritating and captivating at the same time. Tujhme kuch toh baat hai." (You definitely have a special talent.)

I crossed my arms, feeling a blush creeping onto my cheeks, "But don't worry, I can handle your charm and frustrating behaviour," I said, my tone revealing a blend of frustration and fondness. "Who needs a peaceful life when we can have this rollercoaster of emotions, right?" I said pointing at her and then me.