Chapter 4: The Whirlwind of Emotions

I desperately needed someone to guide me through the complex concepts and prepare me for the intense debates that awaited me in my AEC class. Without a doubt, my roommate, Pallavi, 

the shining star of our class, was my only hope.

"Please, please, please, bro, help me just this once," I pleaded, practically on my knees next to her study table, as she organized her documents into a folder. But she continued to refuse.

"Tu meri personal google hai yaar. (you are my personal google.) Please, I'm begging you, help me make sense of this," I implored, pointing at the paper from my class that might as well have been written in a foreign language. My initial excitement of embarking on a journey of new 

knowledge was now drowning in regret.

With an air of superiority, she swirled her wheelchair around, crossing one leg over the other, and leaned back, while crossing her arms, as if she owned the entire universe. "And what will I gain from helping you, huh?" she challenged, a sly smile playing on her lips.

"Can't you just help your friend in need?" I said but she just raised an eyebrow and didn't say anything.

Sighing, without hesitation, I blurted out, "I'll do anything you ask. Just help me, this once." Her leg uncrossed as she leaned forward, her finger tracing the outline of my jaw, teasingly stopping 

at my chin. With a mischievous smirk, she whispered, "anything?"

Caught off guard by the closeness and the whirlwind of emotions it stirred within me, I forcefully pushed aside those forbidden thoughts and quickly stood up. "Yes, but not everything," I stammered, desperately trying to regain my composure. "Just help me with this, please."

Her laughter filled the room, a captivating symphony that echoed in my ears. It was genuine, contagious, and filled with pure joy. At that moment, I found myself questioning my own sanity, and also, did I said something funny?

After what felt like an eternity, she finally agreed to assist me, but on some conditions. However, her discontent with my lack of seriousness was very much visible. I could sense her annoyance lingering in the air, a subtle reminder that my casual approach to academia was not to be taken lightly.

"Starting tomorrow, you will wake up on time. Those endless alarms you snooze are beyond annoying. Second, I can't stand a messy room, so you better organise your side and keep it that way. Third, quit chugging cold water right after climbing the stairs, that's why you catch a cold every other day. Your sneezes are driving me crazy." she said more like ordered.

I nodded.

A mixture of relief and anxiety washed over me, realising that I had indeed been a source of annoyance to her as well. Grateful for her reluctant agreement, I knew deep down that I had to make a change. This journey of knowledge would require more than just her assistance; it would demand my commitment and dedication to prove myself worthy of her guidance.

~~~

"How many times have I told you, equality before the law means that everyone is treated the same under the law, so no one is above the law. It means the same rules and regulations apply to everyone. On the other hand, equal protection of the law means that the law provides fair and equal opportunities to all individuals in similar circumstances, without discrimination," Pallavi explained, struggling to control her anger while I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. I responded with a hesitant "hmm."

She let out a sigh, realising I still didn't understand. "Okay, listen. Equality before the law means that all individuals are treated in the same way under the law, regardless of their race, gender, religion, or social status. It ensures that everyone is subject to the same legal standards and procedures. On the other hand, equal protection of the law goes beyond treating everyone the same. It means that the law should provide equal opportunities and protections to all individuals, regardless of their characteristics or circumstances. This principle aims to prevent discrimination and ensure that everyone has an equal chance to access justice and enjoy their rights. Okay?"