Chapter 4. Camp Cretaceous

The four other kids and I continue walking up the concrete dock, to the man. He dawns a yellow bandana draped across his forehead, a red shirt with the Jurassic company logo on it, and khaki shorts. In general, he just has that goofy ass fuck look, you know the one.

    "Welcome to Isla Nublar, Campers!" He greets as I just nod to him. "You are the chosen few, the first kids in the entire world to experience the awesome that is Camp Cretaceous." He monologues. "I know the trip from the mainland was hard on some..hello Ben." He looks to the boy standing at the side of the dock, still seasick.

    "But you made it! I'm Dave, head counselor. Yep, you heard right, head honcho, big shot..." He gloats as an engine's roars begin coming closer. A truck kareens out of the jungle and swings to the side, coming to a stop. I guess they have a problem with just slowing down to a stop normally.

     The door hangs open and a woman stands out, wearing the same attire as the "head honcho" or whatever the hell minus the yellow bandana. "So sorry I'm late, welcome campers! I'm Roxie, head counselor of Camp Cretaceous." She says in a British accent, sliding in next to Dave.

     The other campers look to Dave because he lied, but at least he was on time. "It's sort of a co-head counselor situation..." Dave tries to lie again as Roxie gives him a smirk. "Is it?"

     "Anyway...." Dave changes the subject. "Some of you won contests to be here, some had VIP invites, but for the next two weeks all of you will be getting the five star treatment!" He hypes up as the pink girl waves her phone around, filming everything. I try to stay clear of the camera's view.

    "As our first campers, we've lined up exclusive behind the scenes tours of Jurassic World." Roxie adds in. Everyone minus me and this Ben kid ooohs and ahhhs. I stay silent and Ben groans. At this point why did he come here?

     "As well as kayaking, rock climbing, obstacle courses, and of course..." The young one cuts her off and shouts. "Dinosaurs!?" He's all jittery and shit. Roxie smiles and checks her clipboard. "Yes Darius, plenty of dinosaurs. So, ready for an adventure?" Roxie finishes.

    The pink girl next to me smiles and starts talking. "Absolutely! But...im gonna need that speech a little shorter and try to really lean into the majesty of this place.." I gently nudge her with my elbow in a 'knock it off' kind of way.

     Dave chuckles. "Okay... we're going now. Let's get the seven of you to camp." Ben speaks up. "Uhh...there's only six of us.." Dave does a head count.

    Roxie sighs and a loud ass helicopter flies in. It lands and a staff member opens the sliding door, revealing some rich asshole with a pink shirt.

    I hate rich people. They usually don't deserve what they have, especially on the land side in the country. Rich people close many farms just so they can own land there and feel like a cowboy or whatever they do. This kid feels like that.

     "Greetings my dudes, Kenji is here so let the party commence!" He announces and I roll my eyes. "Put this in my room" He tosses his blue duffle bag at Roxie. Roxie tosses it back at the arrogant prick, making him fall.

    "Alright, let's go." Roxie says and we follow her to a truck. I hop onto the open tailgate and turn around to help the pink girl behind me. She nods to me and we both sit down.

     The truck starts driving around the beautiful jungle on the winding dirt roads. It's a stark contrast from the flat plains I'm used to. Ben speaks up. "I hope you got my mom's note, I don't do well on windy roads!" Does he do good at anything?

     The pink girl next to me starts recording herself and greets some audience of hers. I scoot away a little bit, to not be on camera. She turns to us all. "Okay I need all of you to say who you are and a little bit about yourself." I sigh. She points the phone at Darius. "Action!"