Flirt

Turning away, I angle myself so Jonathan can see exactly what I'm doing. Let's see, I'll make the same thing for Shy Guy as before. I turn back around and set the "new" drink in front of Kyle.

- Your remake, sir.

Then, I put Jonathan's new drink next to him, leaning in just a little extra. I can feel his body heat.

- And since you're almost done, here's a new one for you, sir! Pardon the reach, I don't want to spill it.

I don't miss the way Jonathan blushes a little at the "sir", nor how his eyes stop squarely on my lips.

- Thank you, Ryan.

- No need for thanks, sir! Just doing my job.

I give Kyle my best innocent look, letting a hand linger on the back of Jonathan's seat. He seems to like more his new drink. Jonathan snorts into his drink. When I glance over, he's making eye contact, but as soon as he sees I look, he averts his eyes.

- If there's anything else I can get you guys, please just let me know.

- Sure, whatever. But for now, we have an NDA, so...

He shooed me away with his hands. Okay, what the hell is a dude like Shy Guy doing with people like this? I walk away and stay by the bar cart. Kyle and his friends keep me on my feet for the next two hours as they talk shop. Jonathan shoots you a few apologetic glances, blushing profusely each time until finally, the group leaves. Thank god, it's over.

- Has Altman left already?

- Already? It's been a few hours, boss.

- They usually stay longer. You didn't mess anything up, did you?

- Not that I know of. Just they were rude the entire time. I think only one of them said thanks.

- Well, they'll get used to you soon enough. Just make sure you don't screw up such a big account. We could always use the business.

- Gee, thanks...

My boss takes a look at the check and confirms everything is in line.

- They tipped well, at least. Seems like you did a good job. Or at least enough to impress Mr. Altman.

- Mr. Altman?

- Jonathan Altman, yeah. He's the son of a big corporate bigwig that owns some game company or another. Not half bad for your first night. You look exhausted. Go home, Ryan. I'll start you on the main floor another time.

- Thanks, boss.

Gathering up my things, I yawn and head home. It's still a little early for most people, but tonight's taken a lot out of you. When I get home, my roommate, and best friend, Sofia, is sitting on the couch, curled up with a tablet and a glass of wine.

- You're still up?

- It's only 9:30. You're home early.

- Boss cut me after my first party.

- That bad?

- I did well. The party was all rich assholes.

She doesn't need to know about Jonathan, does she?

- Were any of them at least cute?

- Meh. Eye candy doesn't mean much if you want to tear your eyelashes out when they speak. Mostly, it was friggin' awful. I'd rather go back to being a mascot character than deal with that.

- Why'd Bossguy even stick you with them? Sounds like the worst idea.

- He thought it'd be good to keep me with just one party since I'm so new. He just conveniently forgot to warn me how demanding they could be.

- I know it sucks, but stick with it.

- Yeah, yeah. I know, we need to make rent.

- I wasn't going to say that! Well, not only that. If they're rich, they're probably connected. And if they're connected, that means there are opportunities.

- That's the dimmest silver lining I've ever heard of.

- My dude, how many times have you heard of actors that just needed one big break? Who knows, maybe this could lead to yours! Maybe one of them knows a cutie that isn't an asshole.

- That's a long shot.

And who knows if Mister Jonathan is worth my salt.

- Besides, it's only your first real night on the job. You're adaptable. You'll get used to it.

- Sofia, I still have the right to complain, though.

- Within reason. Don't make me get a No Complaining Zone sign.

- Yeah. It's always easier to look at the positives when you're not in the think of it.

- That may be, but it's not like being in the dance company has me rolling in cash.

- You make enough to afford rent here all on your own!

- But I'm not ballin'. One wrong move and it's back to square one.

- Ugh, don't remind me.

Sofia pulls a goofy face, and I playfully flip her off before heading to my room. I'm so tired that I can't help but flop onto my bed face - first as soon as the door closes behind me. Today was a nightmare, but... Jonathan's blushing face makes its way into my mind's eye. He's supposed to be a regular which means I'm going to get to flirt with him again soon!