Mother

- Hello, Jonathan. It's been a while.

Her voice is rich, resonant, and kind – like the best chocolate or softest velvet.

- Whoa, your mom's gorgeous. You must get it from here.

The corner of Jonathan's mouth twitches like he wants to smile, but he's clearly too shocked to really respond.

Her smile feels like a hug...wow...

- No, that's not fair. More than a while. You must have so many questions.

Jonathan's mouth works wordlessly, and he seems unsteady on his feet. His hands are balled into fists, shoulders set despite his swaying.

- Fuck questions. How dare you? You abandoned me as a kid, you stop replying to my messages when I'm grown up and abandon me again and now you have the gall to come here in person and say hello like everything's copacetic? Fuck you, Denise.

Denise shakes her head slowly, her smile shrinking into something sad, yet understanding. Jonathan stomps away.

- I should have expected that. Denise, Jonathan's mom says.

She turns her attention to me.

- I'm sorry to disrupt your day. I'm Denise. Jonathan's mom. Well... I suppose I was his mom. I take it you're his boyfriend?

- How'd you know?

- Mother's intuition. Or a w lawyer's senses, maybe. May I ask your name?

- It's Ryan.

The longer I stay here, the further away Jonathan gets, wherever he's going.

- It's nice to meet you, Ryan. It's okay, you can go after him. We can talk later.

- Thank you, Miss Denise.

- Denise is fine. Go! He needs you.

I nod, blushing furiously, and head off in the direction that Jonathan went.