Five Days Until the Party

All four were in the park.

They had picked up a snack from nearby and were sprawled out near a bench, though none of them used it as a seat. They instead chose the grass or the concrete path. The bench was far more useful as a table, apparently.

One of them looked up, the glow of the orange-turning sky making his deeply tanned skin reflect warmly. "Any of you know the time?" Alexander asked.

A kid with black hair turned to him. "Why does the time matter? Got somewhere to be?" Jackson teased.

"I don't," Alexander responded. "But I can't say the same about Mike." The boy turned to his right. "Doesn't your dad still give you a curfew?"

Michael sighed, his energetic blue eyes immediately growing tired. "Somehow."

"Well, shit, this early?" Jackson said, standing up. "You gotta go if we wanna hang out tomorrow, right?"

Michael looked up at his friend. "I guess." Jackson held out his hand for Michael to take. Alexander, meanwhile, helped their final friend, Thomas, up. Out of everyone else, Thomas was noticeably the palest, but each of them still had a rather strong tan.

"Who knew it was already sunset?" Jackson remarked. "How long have we been out? Half the day?"

"Surely," Michael answered. The four began walking back along the sidewalk, taking in the mostly empty streets.

"I hear Fredbear's is going all out this weekend," Thomas said after a moment of silence. "For a certain little kid."

"Don't remind me," Michael said bitterly. "My father's been planning this for a week now. Dunno why he goes all out for the little man."

"Yeah, what'd he do for your birthday again?" Alexander asked, already snickering. "Just—like—a song? I can't even remember if there were decorations."

"There weren't. He says I'm 'too old' for giant parties now. As if he wouldn't throw one for himself."

"Don't worry about it, man," Jackson said, nudging Michael. "I'll make sure we still have the best time."

Michael nodded in reply as the group reached a landmark of their walk home. It was an impressive diner, leaking with Fantasy and Fun.

Fredbear's Family Diner.

Five days until Michael's brother got the whole place revamped just for him. Until the balloons came out and the animatronics sang and Michael had nothing to do but watch.

And make sure he didn't look all that annoyed.

"You okay, man?" Thomas asked. Michael was jerked out of his thoughts.

"Fine," he muttered.

Jackson placed a hand on his friend's shoulder, leaning in. "We'll make sure Evan gets hell, don't worry."

Michael smirked. "Thanks."

"And here it is," Alexander remarked as the group reached a house. "La casa Afton." He paused a moment before leaning over at Thomas. "That's right, right?"

"You guys have fun with the rest of your night," Michael said, dragging himself to the front door.

"Hard to have fun without you there, man," Jackson told him. "Nah, I'm going home."

"You don't have to."

"I mean what I said. See you tomorrow, okay?"

"Right."

Michael waved goodbye to the three, turning back to the front door. Slowly, he reached for the doorknob, pulling it up to reduce the creaking sound.

He was greeted with his living room, the Fredbear and Friends cartoon mid-play on the TV despite the empty area. Michael looked to the left and right, but the house was vacated.