Bewitched!

"Hello? Are you alright? Your face is red. Are you sick?"

Shit, how long have I been staring? "Huh? Y-yeah, th-thank you...I mean I'm fine, yeah, thanks."

"Wait a second," the brown-haired beauty extended her hands toward the crystallized rookie slayers, "teleportation," the rookie slayers were covered by a blanket of light before disappearing completely.

The strange woman then faced me. "My name's Wiz. Forgive me if I may ask, but are you alone here?" Wiz, huh.

"My name's Y/N L/N. Yes, I'm alone. If I may ask, where did you send the rookie slayers?"

"Th-that's not important right now. What's important is that you're safe."

That was rather defensive, but she just saved my life. If I continue with my accusatory tone, I'd look like an ass. Besides, her clothes are different from the residents of Alcanretia. If she was the only outsider beside me in the city, I'd better make my acquaintance with her.

"So, uhh...mmm, thank you a lot for saving my life. If it wasn't for you I would've been torn apart," I said as I bowed.

"No no, it's not a problem," She said frantically while red-faced. She somewhat regained her composure, "although, you don't look like you're from here. Are you a traveler like me by any chance?"

"You know? We shouldn't be talking in the middle of the forest. Why not talk while on the way back to the city?"

___________________________

"So, you're accumulating skills to travel and meet up with a friend?" Wiz asked.

"Pretty much."

While on the way back, I was explaining to Wiz what had gone on with me so far. Of course, I didn't tell her about Thea or the task that was given to me. All I said was that I was a traveler from a faraway land looking for a friend.

"So, you're the rumored demon that the people have been talking about," crap crap crap, "They talk of you, going around and harassing women and young girls, creeping on nuns. They also said that you go to the forest to prey on female adventurers."

What the hell were they talking about? Why do they slander me with that specific kind of crime? That's beyond vile. It was Zesta, wasn't it? "H-hey hey hey, p-please, believe me. I didn't do any of that. I wouldn't even dare. I'm too much of a coward for that... uh-uh, n-not that I wanted to do that..."

And from there, I was lost in my garbled words, trying desperately to defend myself, to show her that I was no danger to her. But...she saved my life, didn't she? She was just casually talking to me right now. Then why...

"Please, calm down. I don't believe any of it." huh? Then why mention it at all?

"How s-so?"

"I saw you struggling with a bunch of slimes earlier, so I doubt that you'll still be alive by now if the people truly believe you did those things. The people of Alcanretia are the most dogmatic regarding their beliefs, so they'll scrape for any reason to demonize anyone who doesn't conform to them, especially a demon."

It was as if a mountain was lifted off of me. With a single breath of comfort escaping my mouth, all that was left was my jittering body and flushed face. Wiz must have noticed that.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up. I just wanted to confirm if you were pretending to be weak or not. I saw the Archpriest tailing you and I was not sure if you were aware."

"Well, there you have it; I'm harmless as a decapitated turtle. Convinced? Or are you gonna pull off another prank?"

"Sorry, I believe you," She averted her gaze, a bit saddened. Aw shit, I'm being an asshole, aren't I?! Damnit!