[02]

Roman Sionis was a name not many people in Gotham had the courage to utter. His title Black Mask alone was enough to frighten them out of their wits.

So it wasn't unexpected for him to see the young boy in front of him struck by fear. His glassy eyes indicated he had tears welling up and his lip quivered before he bit it to keep himself composed.

He didn't speak further so Roman decided to take the lead.

"Is this the way you treat guests?" His lips had curled into a sneer, "I was here to discuss your company but it doesn't seem like you need my help. The lack of hospitality is outrageous."

Tim's eyes flickered from the skull mask to the guards standing behind the formidable man, each holding guns that he had only seen in the news before. His blood seemed to have frozen in his veins as he replied, "I'm sorry, sir. I wasn't expecting your arrival. Allow me to sort this out."

Black Mask could see that the boy was smart and was trying to adapt to the situation, knowing that he was clearly at a disadvantage and had no way of escape.

"That's better. I'd like to have our discussion in the conference room, I assume you know the way?"

He gulped, clasping his hands tightly to hide the fact that they were shaking in anticipation. He nodded in reply, however, and led the way to the second floor where the conference room was located.

The building was dark so Roman's guards had switched on powerful flashlights until they reached the locked door.

"I don't have the keys," Tim spoke up nervously.

"That's alright. Step aside."

Upon Roman's crisp order, Tim shuffled to the side and the guard at the head of the squad came forward and shot the lock open. They stepped in first to see that the place was secure for their boss and then Timothy was allowed to come in and switch on the lights.

The sound of the gunshot was still ringing in his ears and he looked even more frightened than earlier.

Seeing the fear radiating off the boy seemed to amuse Black Mask as he took the seat by the table and gestured to him to sit as well. Tim hesitated for a second but upon the nudge of a gun in his direction, he quickly did as he was told.

Then Black Mask dismissed his men, ordering them to stay outside and keep watch.

"My boy, I heard you've been in a dire situation lately," Black Mask initiated the conversation, knowing full well that Tim was too frightened to speak, "your father is hospitalized and this company is falling to shambles. At this point, you don't have many options to keep your father alive as well as have a roof above your head. And the decision you were about to take right before my visit interrupted you... Pitiful. What would become of poor Jack if you too ended your life?"

His jaw clenched slightly but he didn't react further, letting Roman continue. Being in his presence felt like sitting in a cage with a predator ready to pounce on him and finish him. But he couldn't leave the room either and indeed he did not have another choice.

"Not many options, none even. I also heard that the only way to save Drake Corporate as well as your remaining family is a heavy investment."

Tim felt uncomfortable under that intense stare. He had a fair idea that no one in their right mind would invest in an already bankrupt company. He also knew that if he sold Drake Manor, he might be able to keep his father's treatment going for a few months but would end up homeless himself. Plus there was a lot of debt that had to be repaid and he couldn't arrange all the money required for that just from selling the only property they had left.

"The look on your face tells me you've already contemplated it all. You seem to be a smart boy, Timothy, you know exactly what you are facing." He leaned closer, his hands crossing under his chin as he resumed, "but here's where I step in. I have an offer for you and if you accept it, all your problems will be solved."

Tim knew offers such as the one Roman Sionis was making always had a catch. It was like signing a deal with the devil, no matter how good the proposal seemed, it always ended up damaging the person signing it.

The devil demands the soul of the person signing his contract. Therefore, what could Roman Sionis need from Tim as a payment was a question that formed in his head.

"You can get your father treated in the best hospital in Gotham. You can have this company up and running in no time, you won't have to lose a lot to gain all this. I'll invest in your company and I'll make sure that all the debts are paid off," he offered, a sinister spark gleaming behind the dark sockets of the skull mask, "everything is in your favor, Timothy. Think about it."

There had to be a catch.

A crime lord of Black Mask's reputation wouldn't invest his money into anything unless he had a heavy benefit.

Tim was young but not foolish to overlook that fact.

"Mister Black Mask," he spoke up at last, his voice unsteady but his eyes focusing on the crime lord questioningly, "what do you need in return for this investment?"

He laughed heartily and Tim flinched at the roaring sound of his laughter.

"The Little Prince isn't just a simpleton, is he?" His piercing gaze didn't waver and Tim shifted in his seat slightly. "I thought you would be like spoiled rich brats your age, shallow and knowing nothing about business. But seems like Jack has trained you enough already... Impressive."

Tim made no remark, waiting for him to answer his question.

"What I need from you is your name," he replied at last, his voice lowering to a menacing pitch, "and your loyalty. You can't back off from obeying me once I've helped you out. If I invest in your company, I'll be a business partner, right? So I'll need your company to serve me whenever I want it to. This also applies to you."

Tim felt his hands go cold with sweat.

He understood exactly what Roman Sionis was asking in return for that heavy investment.

He was asking for Tim in return. Just like the devil demanded the soul, the devil on earth seated before him demanded him whole.

His name, his freedom, his loyalty, and his life would all be signed off to Black Mask if he accepted the offer.

He would become no more than a puppet with his strings held by the malicious crime lord sitting in front of him.

And he could see right then that there wasn't any option left.

If he had to survive and if he had to save his father as well as Drake Corporate, he would have to make that sacrifice.

***