[21]

Black Mask was prowling about in one of the top security cells of Blackgate prison, burning up in intense rage. He couldn't process that Red Hood had thrown him off his pedestal so easily. All his power and control slipped past his grip due to just one man in a scarlet helmet.

Like sand spilling from clenched fists in a sea storm, he could see his years' worth of reputation, fear, and power fade into dust.

The people who used to worship the ground he treaded on had left him in his darkest hour, refusing to help him out of the mess he fell into. If he ever escaped from prison, he would have all their heads on a pike.

Fate had turned against him, and he couldn't stand it.

"Maxwell! I want to talk to Maxwell. Bring him to me right this instant!" He shouted, but the prison guard positioned outside ignored him.

With no response to his outraged cries, he had no other option but to wait.

For a man as impatient as Roman Sionis, waiting was a hassle that he never bothered with. Forcefully subjected to that helplessness, he wanted to tear the Red Hood apart from limb to limb, all the anger he felt directed towards him.

In the midst of his distress and rage, his thoughts wandered to Tim.

Timothy Drake, the little prince who he had saved from the clutches of suicide, making him a puppet for his own gain. He was his key to the corporate world through the controlling seat of Drake Corporate. A cleverly thought-out move on a chessboard he set up himself.

Yet what use had it been to him?

The boy was snatched from right under his nose, held captive goodness knew where. Without him, Roman couldn't have strengthened his foothold in the corporate world, and there was no trace of the young and rather impressionable boy.

His golden bird had flown out of reach, trapped in someone else's cage that he couldn't yet retrieve.

His men could not find Tim, but after that massive spectacle at Gotham River, Sionis had plenty of reason to believe that only Red Hood could have snatched him out of his hold.

No one else would have the guts to do so. Only Red Hood, with his obnoxious stunts and arrogant nature, could challenge him to such an extent.

He had snatched the whole of Gotham from the tight confines of his palm. Kidnapping a helpless little boy was a much easier task compared to that.

But thinking of Tim involuntarily made him think of Lorena as well, his daughter who must have worked herself up in quite a fit after finding out that he was imprisoned.

What would she be doing right then?

If only he could talk to Maxwell, he would find out what was going on at the Sionis Villa in his absence.

He knew it would be in utter chaos. Lorena was unpredictable, and she couldn't be left alone, considering the current circumstances.

The main cause of his worries was that if Red Hood could get to Tim despite the strict watch employed over him, he could also get to Lorena.

If he truly intended to destroy Black Mask, just like he had made it clear from every calculated move he made, then Lorena was the key and currently at risk of being stolen.

He had to contact her somehow and warn her to be on her guard.

He had to talk to Maxwell.

But luck wasn't in his favor, nor was the guard positioned outside his cell.

His yells and demands were met only with a piercing silence, making him believe that he was truly left at the mercy of Blackgate, locked up to rot in that desolate prison for all his heinous crimes.

***

The Sionis Villa was indeed in chaos.

Lorena found out about her father's imprisonment despite the servants doing their best to keep it from her. And when she discovered the truth, they expected her to erupt like a volcano, dooming them all to the deepest pits of hell.

Her anger was worse than Roman's, a fact they had learned the hard way. The only difference was that when she got angry, it crossed all limits and became self-destructive.

So the servants and the guards were preparing for the devastating outburst, thinking of ways to secure themselves and Lorena herself from the extent of her wrath.

However, much to their shock, she didn't explode like a ticking time bomb. After hearing the news, she was unexpectedly silent, though her grey eyes burned with an inexplicable fire.

"Miss Lorena," the housekeeper cautiously approached her, knowing full well she was stirring a hornet's nest by talking to her even. "Please don't worry. Your father will be back soon, safe and sound."

Her eyes snapped in her direction, and she instantly stepped back, feeling the scorching gaze pierce through her.

"Leave me alone," she spoke, her voice threateningly low but calm. "I don't want to see a single face in my house... Get out."

All of them scrambled to their feet, rushing out without protest. The housekeeper relented, but feeling that burning gaze focused on her, she also had to give in.

Only Maxwell remained, and seeing him, Lorena added, "I think Father would want to see you right now."

"I'll go to Blackgate right away, but I can't leave you alone," he replied, his loyalty overcoming the unease of talking to her while she was angered. "You are at risk, and that Red Hood could pose a danger to your life."

"Maxwell, I'm giving you an order. Go to Blackgate prison and see Father."

"But Miss Sionis..."

"I won't hear any excuses," she remarked, not allowing him to finish his sentence. "You've been a faithful bodyguard. That is why I'm not using extreme measures. I'll be fine here on my own, and if I find out any of you were trying to keep watch or didn't leave the villa after my orders, I'll have your heads on a pike."

He knew then that nothing could dissuade her. She had made up her mind and would stick to it.

"And if the Red Hood tries to hurt you..."

She shook her head, an unnerving smile taking over her face, "He wouldn't. Even if he thought about it, I'd know."

He paused, feeling her words implied much more than she let on.

But he couldn't ask because he was already treading on thin ice. He didn't want to challenge her patience as he was fully aware she was quite short of temper, just like her father.

"Go, Maxwell. My father is waiting for you, and you know very well how much he hates being left on hold. Go if you value your life and mine." She reminded him, tapping his shoulder lightly as she left.

Something was dreadfully wrong; Maxwell could feel it.

Still, he had no other option but to leave, or else the young Sionis heiress wouldn't spare him.

***