[04]

That day couldn't get any worse for Timothy Drake.

He had been informed that morning that the person who was going to buy Drake Manor had retrieved his offer and left Gotham. That meant the only source Tim had to obtain some money from to keep his father's hospital bills paid was also gone.

As a result, he had been called to the hospital where the doctors informed him that they would have to pull the plug from Jack Drake's ventilator if the bills weren't paid.

Distraught, he asked them to call his father's lawyer who was currently the only guardian and adult authority figure Tim had. 

"We have already discussed it with him," the doctor tried to gently break it down to him, "Mister Reid said that there's nothing he can do either. But we still called you here because even if Mister Reid is the one having the power of attorney for Mister Drake, you are his son and should know about this beforehand."

Tim was too stunned to speak.

That meant James Reid had already discussed with the hospital admin that he would not be responsible for paying any further medical expenses. And with Drake Manor unable to be sold as well, there was no way Tim could pay either.

"You can meet your father for the last time before we..."

"No," he spoke up, his eyes frantic as he registered the situation, "please don't do this. He will die..."

"I am sorry, dear, but we have no option," the doctor patted his shoulder to assure him but of course, the boy didn't need any false assurances. 

There was nothing she could do to help him, just like the many others around him.

"If I... If I somehow manage to clear these medical expenses, will you keep treating him?" Tim asked, his voice shaking in uncertainty, "if I pay the bills instead... Will you keep him alive?"

"It's more of a hospital policy rather than our own personal will," she resumed gently, "of course I want to help you and your father but I will not be allowed to keep him under treatment if his bills are not cleared. I am so sorry, dear."

"I... I understand," he seemed to be thinking his next line of action, "can you do me one favor, Doctor Martin? Please?"

"What is it?"

"Please give me some time," he requested earnestly, his blue eyes focused on her in a look that she couldn't say no to, "just a few hours, please. I will arrange the money and clear the bills. Please don't pull the plug from Dad's ventilator just now. Please..."

She couldn't say no. Plus they did have a clause in the policy to wait for a day if the patient's family members requested to arrange the money in that time period.

"Alright. I need you to sign a form, okay?" She took him to the administration, "and then we will talk to Mister Reid too since he is your legal guardian currently."

He nodded, taking the form and putting down his signature. 

He had to arrange that money as soon as possible and unfortunately, there was only one place where he could get it from. 

***

Black Mask was waiting for the boy to show up.

He knew it was only a matter of time before young Timothy Drake would present himself because there was absolutely no other place for him to go for help.

Roman's men had threatened Drake Manor's buyer into leaving the deal and chased him away as well so that Drake Manor wouldn't get sold. Word was spread in the real estate market that the Drake property was built on illegal acquisition of land and that ended up making other potential buyers stay away too.