Chapter twelve : Cooking with Chuck

The next morning before breakfast I head into the kitchen, ready for my new job as a cook

I think back about last night and feel relieved that Newt slept like a baby all through the night.
"Hey greenie! We're excited to have you here today!" Frypan pulls me out of my thoughts.
Chuck runs up to me just as excited and wraps his little arms around my waist.
"Hey Chuck, how are you?" I giggle.
"Amazing! I get to spend all day with you!" He yells joyfully.
"You need to let her work Chuck, that's what she's here for." Frypan pries the kid off me.
"Oh. I thought I just had to eat the food?" I ask, trying to pretend to be confused.
Frypan looks at me with raised eyebrows, unsure of what to say before I burst into laughter.
"I'm kidding, tell me what I can do boss."
The boy now also laughs while shaking his head before we both walk over to a section that had a table to work on.
"We've got breakfast handled so it's best if you could start on lunch. Today it's just soup so you need to cut all the vegetables." Frypan explains, pointing at some baskets with different types of vegetables in them.
"All of those need to be cut into small chunks and you can put them all into these big pots."
I nod before Frypan walks off, leaving me by myself.
Well... leaving me with Chuck who stands next to me in silence while looking up at me, beaming with excitement.
He's practically jumping up and down, refusing to take his eyes off of me as if I'm a brand new toy he just got for christmas.
"Do you..." I start while looking at him with a mischievous smile.
"Want to help me?" I blurt out as I raise my eyebrows.
Chuck claps excitedly before he starts handing me the vegetables one by one.
I don't want him holding a knife so it's the best thing I could think of.
He seems to enjoy the mundane task and no matter how useless it is, it makes him happy which is all I want.

"Hey love!" I hear Newts voice shout from the line that everyone is standing in to get their breakfast.
I abandon my task for a moment to go up to him, wanting to talk to him since the cooks have breakfast after everyone else so I won't get to eat with my friends today.
"Hey Newtie." I smile.
"I just wanted to wish you good luck today. I gotta go and head to the gardens to finish planting but I'll come find you at lunch." He says, shooting me a quick smile before heading off.
I continue chopping up vegetables with Chuck's 'help' until they're all gone.
"Good work greenie! I didn't think you'd finish this soon." Frypan says contently as he eyes my progress.
"I had great help." I say, nudging Chuck with my elbow. I look down at the boy who is beaming with pride.
Frypan chuckles before speaking up again.
"I'm going to pick up the meat for tonight at the blood house, can you add water to the pots and keep stirring them while they're cooking?" Frypan asks me and I simply nod.
The rest of the day I follow Frypan's orders flawlessly and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying working in the kitchen.
I got to spend a lot of time with Chuck which we both enjoyed and all of the cooks were very nice.
It was only me, Chuck, Frypan and two other guys named Jack and Jim in the kitchen so we all got along really well.
After Newt stopped by for lunch Jack and Jim teased me about how inseparable we are which I couldn't disagree with them about.
What can I say? I love being around Newt and he loves being around me.
"Hey greenie, we're about done for today. We all loved having you here. Tonight's another keepers meeting to decide what job you will get, are you excited?" Frypan asks me, making Jack and Jim also look in our direction to listen in on the conversation.
"I'm quite nervous. I have no idea what I'll be doing from tomorrow on." I giggle anxiously.
"You'll be fine. Do you want to plate up dinner? It's the best job around here." Fypan smiles smugly, handing me the big spoon they use to scoop food onto the gladers plates.
"It would be an honour." I say jokingly as I accept the spoon and take Fry's place in front of the big pots.
Dinner consists of some baked potatoes, chunks of chicken and a mix of green beans, corn, tomato and cucumber.
Soon all the gladers walk up to the kitchen and start lining up in front of the table I'm standing at.
One by one I give them their portion of potatoes, chicken and vegetables before sending them on their way.
Suddenly my work flow gets interrupted by a warm accent that sounds like music to my ears.
"Hi love. How was your day as a cook?"
I look up to meet Newt's eyes and a smile immediately spreads across my face.
"Hey! It was great actually. How did your day go?" I ask excitedly.
I probably imagined it but for a moment it looked like Newt wasn't very happy with my reply.
"It was good. We got everything done so now we're set for the new season." He replies.
Before I can say anything else a boy jokingly raises his voice from down the line.
"Hey Newt! You're holding up the line."
The glader gains a few giggles from some of the other boys but Newt just rolls his eyes.
"I'll see you in a bit." He smiles softly before taking his food and going to sit at the table with his friends.
When I'm done serving everyone I grab myself a plate and join everyone at our regular table.
I am greeted by Thomas, Minho, Ben, Winston, Jeff, Clint, Zart and of course, Newt.
"Ready for the meeting greenie?" Zart asks hopefully.
I just nod before diving into my food.
When I look around the table I see how everyone is mostly done eating already since they started way before me but they probably waited so I could still eat with them.
It warms my heart knowing I have friends who would do anything for me.