Spawn

We settled near the city, at one of the cliffs with the most stunning views of the sea and Baldur's Gate.

It was a day of celebration, for everyone to get drunk with wine alongside friends, forget all the suffering we had to endure and let the euphoria dominate us. A celebration for our freedom and for the end of countless battles, imminent dangers in every corner and unwanted guests in our brains.All I wanted was food, wine and...forget a decision I had to make.

A decision that occupied my mind for days. A decision that could change not only my entire life, but the life of others too. A decision I didn't want to make. Not now, not at this moment.

I tried my best to push it away, to hide it somewhere in my brain that I could ignore.
But I downed the bottle of wine and then...my eyes betrayed me, leading me to him.

A bard stood in the middle of the camp, reciting freshly made rhymes about our victories while strumming an elegant lyre. Lyrics with exaggerated facts that were not consistent with the truth, but fun to listen to.

— It's really so much worse than the celebration the tieflings held. — his voice almost made me tremble. — an even worse bard, foolish and hopeful guests with their exaggerated appreciation. But the wine?

That night...I remember it.

I remember how he had opened up a bit to me days before, how he seemed more vulnerable and aimless. How I took the bottle from his hand and drank from it to tease him. How I got out of my sleeping bag and into his arms for the first time.

— It's certainly better than that tasteless vinegar.

I grabbed another bottle of wine and drank it until I was out of breath. This was far from liquid courage, but it could at least help me a little.

— It would be a surprise if you didn't like a wine you brought yourself.

He smiled. It was the same laughter that made me laugh along with him just a few days ago.

Shit.

I drank more wine and grimaced.

— As always, you're right, my pet.

I looked at him crookedly, without hiding my frown.

— I told you not to call me that, Astarion. I'm not anyone's pet, much less yours.

He laughed again, only this time with the cocky, smug smile that had taken shape after his ascension.

— I'm just kidding, my little love, don't lose your sense of humour so early in the night.

Yeah, of course he was "kidding". Just thinking about it made me want to drink more.

— But well, my little love...have you thought about my offer? About the future I offered you? About the gift of darkness and eternal life? About reigning by my side as a consort and dominating Baldur's Gate?

I almost sighed. Little did citizens and others know that we had ended one threat, only to create another on our own team.

— To become your "spawn"? — I forced myself to smile, without looking at him. — I wouldn't mind being a vampire if it meant being by your side, but...a spawn?

I was not an innocent person. You could call me a hero now, but I had a past full of blood and questionable choices. I didn't mind pursuing my joy, even if it might leave a bitter taste for everyone else.

The problem with Astarion's entire offer was how he desired me, wanted me, but was unable to think about trusting me and making me his equal, preferring to transform me into something he had hated being for almost his entire existence.