A day off. 休みの日。

(Image from OMORI, background).

 I was getting dazzled by the relentless sunlight, which left us with Sunny and Kel no other choice but to endure the near-summer heat. It's just two or three days before the Kel's favorite season started. He must have been long awaiting the time when he and all of our friends could gather and hang out or play volleyball together.

Such excitemend I could see in his eyes and reaction, which was full of vigor whenever the topic was getting to summer, vacation or spending time together.

 It never seemed boring with Kel, haha, - so I thought.

Just going out for a brief walk with him made me remember the times we enjoyed when we were younger. I am thinking not only of me, Sunny and Kel, but of the other "gang" members too: Aubrey, Basil, Hero. At that time I was not getting the least thought that it was going to be the very day of our reunion. Anyways, we shall get back to the narrative.

Carried away by my thoughts, I took time to realise we approached the Faraway Park and were now at the entrance gate. The way to the park was to go through the little streets of our town, cross a couple of roads and tadaa! We were there in a matter of minutes.

I was suddenly interrupted by Sunny:

- I actually wanted to check up on Basil...

Now a seemingly distant thought crossed my mind. This morning Sunny told me he wanted to pay a visit to Basil. Now that I stumbled upon it, I couldn't throw it away so easily, because I didn't want to make Sunny unsatisfied.

- Right, Sunny... Sorry, must have slipped my mind, - I answered.

And just at the moment I wanted to turn back and head towards the direction of Basil's house, Kel drew my attention by a sudden exclamation:

- Hey, look, it's BASIL!

The tanny boy pointed somewhere in the park. When I followed the direction of his gesture with my eyes, I saw a fair-haired head, covered with branches of some trees. Judging by the haircut, it was indeed him. Taking a closer look, I saw him sitting on a bench and relaxing, while whistling a familiar melody. 

- Whistle, whistle...

As soon as Basil got his attention catched by Kel's loud voice, he glanced towards us and smiled affably. I couldn't help but respond to his warm expression with the same one.  I was thinking of smile as a bridge, connecting our friendship.

I prompted Sunny to approach Basil and enjoy this lovely day together. And so we did.

Approaching Basil and friendly waving towards him, I noticed him carrying his new album, which he had got on the celebration of his birthday. That was not too long ago, come to think of it. 

I could still remember the boy's sweetly-surprised face, looking towards the camera. At first seeming distant, now that all of these past memories were crossing my mind, I was as if reliving those dearly cherished times.