Twenty-Nine

Tighnari was seated at his desk, meticulously grinding plants with his trusty mortar and pestle. Meanwhile, Scaramouche remained faithfully by Y/n's side, gently clasping her hand as she peacefully slept. Xiao, on the other hand, leaned against the wall, his eyes shut in a serene state.

Once they had brought her back for treatment, they established a strict rule of no entry for anyone else in the room. Xiao and Scaramouche were particularly vigilant about enforcing it, while Tighnari remained completely absorbed in his work, paying no attention to the outside world.

Tighnari poured water into the medicine and stirred it all together, ensuring everything was thoroughly blended. He poured it into a shallow bowl and brought it over to Y/n, placing it to her lips, making sure that she didn't choke on it. As he approached, Scaramouche watched his every move, still somewhat skeptical of the man's methods. And yet he had no choice but to trust him as he knew he could not do this alone.

Raising his gaze, Xiao joined in the watchful vigilance, displaying an excessive protectiveness towards her, almost as if she were his own sister. He shared Scaramouche's ardent desire for her to awaken. "How is her condition? Any signs of progress?"

With caution, Tighnari removed the bowl from her lips, ensuring that her air passages remained clear. "It's a positive sign that her vital signs have stabilized, but I cannot determine the exact moment she will regain consciousness."

They both nod, not knowing how to respond to the information they were given. Scaramouche rests his head against the edge of the bed, and Xiao goes back to leaning against the wall with his eyes closed.

Tighnari sighs. "I will check on her again in the morning. For now, try to get some rest, it's what she would want."

Swiftly departing the room, he left Xiao and Scara to grapple with an uneasy silence. "You've got her. I'll go and see how the others are doing," Xiao instructed, disappearing in a blink of an eye.

The silence in the room was almost tangible, broken only by the soft sound of Y/n's breathing. Scara sat by her side, his head bowed and his hand tightly holding hers. He had been sitting there for hours, watching over her and hoping for any sign of improvement. But as time went by, he could feel his heart sinking deeper and deeper into despair. Y/n showed no response to his touch, no flicker of consciousness, no flutter of her eyelids.

Scara's grip on her hand tightened even more as if he could somehow will her to wake up. But she remained still, lost in the depths of her unconsciousness.

Scara's eyes were filled with tears, but he blinked them away silently, not wanting to disturb the peacefulness of the moment. He cried quietly, his heart heavy with the weight of his love and his fear.

He slowly felt himself falling asleep, but as he was closing his eyes he could have sworn he felt her hand squeeze back.

__________________

The next morning, the sun slowly crept in through the curtains, casting a warm glow inside the room. The soft light shone in Scara's eyes, gradually waking him up from his deep slumber.

Groggily, he reached out to grab Y/n's hand once again, but found only empty space beside him. His eyes shot open, and he quickly sat up, scanning the room for any sign of her. To his surprise, Y/n was nowhere to be found - she wasn't lying there like she was before he went to sleep.

As he sprang up from his seat, his heart racing with a mixture of excitement and fear, he bolted out of the room and into the main room. He could feel his breath catching in his throat as he made his way towards the group of people gathered there, his lover standing in the middle of them.

His eyes were fixed on her, standing amidst the chaos, a look of confusion etched on her face as everyone bombarded her with a barrage of questions.

He felt his heart sink as he realized that he had missed his chance to talk to her first when she woke up, and now he would have to compete for her attention amidst the clamor of the crowd.

He stood frozen in place, his eyes fixated on the woman in front of him. His heart was beating so fast that he could feel it pounding in his chest, and his palms were sweaty with nerves.

As he looked at her, tears began to form in his eyes, and he felt a lump forming in his throat. All he wanted was to run up to her, wrap his arms around her, and shower her with affection.

But then, she spoke, and the words that came out of her mouth shattered his heart into a million pieces. "I'm sorry, I don't remember any of you."

As Xiao turned around, he noticed him standing there. A look of pain etched across his face as he walked over, placed his hand on his shoulder, and held back tears.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered, but the response was just Scara shoving his arm away, and walking out of the house.

Y/n watched him walk out, a look of worry and confusion gracing her features. With her head tilted to the side she turnd to Xiao and blinked owlishly at him.

"Is he okay?" She asked."Why did he respond that way?"

Xiao gazed at her with a mixture of sadness and empathy, his head shaking slightly as he fought back the tears that threatened to spill from his eyes. "You are someone incredibly significant to him," he whispered tenderly, "just please give him the time he needs."

He let out a heavy sigh and attempted to offer her a small smile, though it was clear that his heart was heavy with emotion. "How are you feeling?" he asked gently, his concern evident in his voice. "Are you okay?"

She nods with a smile. "I'm fine, thank you for asking."

Hours passed before they finally decided to let her be on her own for a while. She walked outside and saw Scaramouche sitting outside, his head in his hands as he stared at the ground.

She walked over and sat next to him, making him flinch as he realised she was there. He looked up at her with tears streaming down his face, he wiped his cheeks and cleared his throat. "So... you can't remember anything?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm sorry." She frowned, looking up at him with a sad look.

The two continued to sit in silence after that, just watching the day move by right in front of them. The breeze that moved through the grass whipped their hair around their heads, and the sun climbed higher in the sky.

Although Y/n had no clue who this man was, she felt for him, and although she was unsure why Xiao's words continued to ring through her head. She was important to him, and he was important to her.

But why? 

(Author's note)
Thank you to my lovely proof reader thehauntedwitch for helping me with this chapter and upcoming chapters ❤️