Chapter 39 - A Cycle Unbroken

Chapter – A Cycle Unbroken

No one responded right away. The Guardians all shifted their gazes to their Clan Heads. Then Mantilo and Glen stood tall and nodded, everyone else followed along.

Ezekiel who was still grouchy and in pain, and honestly partially still going crazy about Brandon's disappearance hissed, lifted his hands gingerly and snapped his fangs. "Lady will you PLEASE just tell us what the heck is going on!? My god all this doom and gloom you act like the world is going to end if you just talk to us like normal Shifters."

Once again that anxious light danced over Bonsas face, and she lifted her hands to her mouth as she looked around the room then hunched her shoulders and put her eyes to the ground. "That's exactly what might happen Boy.... the end of our world...or at least the world as we know it. Just on the off chance that my words could leave this room I had to put up the Barrier because these truths could cause irrevocable damage."

"What are you...!? Bonsa, please explain." Ezekiel dropped his hand somewhat sloppily back into his lap as he snaped at the Elder. Bonsa suddenly shifted and stood up, leaving her seat so she could pace.

"Guardians heed my words now, and do not interrupt them. Life is cyclical and yet fractured by the beings that ride the circle around and around every century."

Bonsa began with a weathered look out over the room. "We are a part of a grand ebb and flow that produces suffering and life. Our desires, and motivations and beliefs all influence how the cycle will go, but every being and living creature in a Cycle is determined in their own way to ensure that their future includes the continuous cycle never dies."

Bonsas voice was dry but strong as she slowly stalled her words long enough for her to lift her hands, and subtly whip back the collar of her robes to expose the upper right side of her shoulder.

In the delicate cleft of space between her collarbone and the top of her breast there was a beautifully intricate carving in the flesh that seemed to have been sliced, then burned into the skin and finally outlined with black and golden inks. The image was that of a scaled beast, a Dragon, with its tail twined downwards into the shape of two perfect loops, that curved around and ended with the Dragons maw clamped down on its own tail.

An image of Autophagy. A beast devouring itself for infinity. The carving was the size and width of an average palm spread out, thumb to pinky finger. And it was embossed so skillfully with glittering inks that the image seemed to not only be a masterful piece of art, but also a very clear symbol of importance and status just like the jewels affixed to the center of the High Elders forehead.

Bonsa let them look at the image on her shoulder for a few seconds longer, then she pulled her robe back into place and with a monotone tilt to her voice she called out."For the Cycle unbroken." She called placing a hand on her shoulder as if she was making a pledge. "No matter the sacrifices or pains we give unto the Cycle for rebirth unending. That is the basic creed of the Sky Gods and by extension the Elderhood."

"All the things that have been put into place, the Sacred Laws, the Elders, the Clans and the way that Lands have even been divided between mortals and beasts and other Clans it all had a central intention and a driving force of justification. To preserve the Balance and the Cycle and ensure that it never breaks...again. To that end the Sky Council, the Dragon Clans and the Elderhood, the Elders appointed to each Clan, are there working tirelessly to sew Order and maintain neutrality."

"Again?" Walter quietly rumbled before Ezekiel could speak, his own ear perked up in confusion at the single word and what it implied. "The Cycle you speak of broke before? How can that be possible...if were all alive?"