twenty five

"Welcome first year students!" Zylia's voice dominates the room, sweet but commanding in a way I haven't heard for years. Glad to see she hasn't lost her spark. "I am Headmistress Locke and this is the Dean of Good, Professor Dovey, and we would like to formally welcome you to the newly unified School for Good and Evil."

"And I, am Headmistress DeVil, and this is the Dean for Evil, Lady Lesso. I can assure you there will be no welcome from either of us. We're not as nice as my sister and Professor Dovey as you will learn in your time here." The eyes of students stare back, eyes hostile but curious. "School will be very different from how your parents may have described, but do not fear, you will soon fall into the new routine."

"Dorms will be shared between both Evers and Nevers." My sister continues on from my sentence, the teachers and Deans stood behind us to enforce authority. "And certain classes will be mandatory for both groups."

"Friendships and dating is acceptable between both groups." I look pointedly at the first year students, none particularly outstanding, "Conclusively, there are no mistakes in the School for Good and Evil, good night." The students start to file out, staff also returning to their respective rooms and classes, preparing for the semester ahead.

I search for a sense of familiarity, finding nothing. A feeling of disappointment fills my senses but I have no time to dwell on my feelings as Emma Anemone makes an appearance.

"Anemone, how many I help?"

"Cut the bull, DeVil." She raises an eyebrow as if she's aware of something I am not. I stare confused. "You're practically killing yourself, no time for others, no time for yourself."

"Emma, if I wanted advice on how to live I would go see a therapist-"

"I see you searching for red. And as much as we hate each other, what you're doing is breaking her heart." She speaks, hand firmly on my shoulder to stop me from leaving. In all honesty it keeps my feet planted firmly on the ground and makes me listen more than I thought it would. "I don't know what happened between the both of you, but I can see that it's fixable. So go and find her before it's too late."

"What if she doesn't want me back?"

"I can tell you that woman has lived in regret for six years. I have never seen her so cold and harsh in my time here. Something about you seems to thaw the constant anger that runs through her, the constant betrayal." The sincerity in her voice scares me, "I'd never seen her in love, but when I saw you two together, I knew how far she was. The waves had pulled her under and she was completely immersed in everything that was you."

"Are you sure?"

"I've never been so sure in my life. Because I saw the same look in your eyes too. What you had was something I believe not even Rafal could break. But somehow you managed to do it to each other. So go fix it."

My heart pounds painful in my ribcage, like water thrashing against the rocks, an ocean untamed. I nod and walk away from the woman, my heels the only sound against the hard floor of the hall. As soon as I get out of earshot I pull off my heels and sprint through the halls to the upper floors housing student and teacher dormitories.

Most students are already in their allocated dorms, those that are not I point in the right direction. As soon as I reach the door I hesitate, the silver plaque on the door deterring me more than I hoped it would. I pull on my heels, regaining the extra height and push away the hesitation I feel knocking on the door. I hear her heeled footsteps from the other side of the door before it swings open.

"What do you want?-" Her eyes meet mine, "Oh, Y/N. Hello, sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"Are you going to let me in?" I question, a rush of nervousness spreading down my spine. She steps aside and gestures for me to come in. I do and watch as she locks the door.

"Do you want some tea or-" I close the distance between us and press a kiss to her lips. Her hand immediately wraps around my neck, the other finding its place on my waist as she moves us further into her room.

I'm pulled into her lap, my hands on her face. I pull away but she chases my lips, capturing them again, a slight frustration edging into her body as she bites down on my lip. I pull away again, resting my forehead against hers. The scent of cinnamon and pumpkin fills my senses.

"You changed your shampoo back?"

"Yeah."

"Good. I didn't like the new one." I whisper into the crook of her neck. Her grip tightens on my waist, nails digging in pleasingly. The darkness that surrounds both of us comfortable and concealing. "I want you." Her breath hitches, movements stilling. I repeat myself. "Please, I want you." She captures my lips again, lifting us from the armchair and moving across the room.

I'm thrown onto her bed and she climbs over me, pushing my wrists into the bed sheets, a black silk similar to how they used to be. Her mouth sucked on my neck and I let out a soft moan. "Are you sure about this?" She murmurs, biting the area just below by ear.

"If you want this too, then yes." Her mouth meets mine again and I regret ever giving her up. All the time we wasted. But I remember that the stars and the sea meet in the darkness, away from everyone's prying eyes. When their faint glow reflects on the endless body of calm water, living in harmony. When the ocean blends into the late night sky, dark and concealing, touching the stars with its fingertips, grasping the warmth and keeping it as its own.

No matter how many times they're separated by day, returning to each other by night. That's what we are, separated by another force, but always finding a way back to each other.