Chapter 19; Damaged Case

Zayed x Malika

Zayed felt a pang of regret for pushing her buttons. She was like a fragile flower, and he didn't want to be the one responsible for causing her to wilt.

Placing his arms on the table, he lowered his gaze and locked eyes with her. "I am not your enemy Malika, please if not me then I can recommend someone. My sister maybe, she's very good with people you can talk to her" he implored softly.

Malika met his plea with a snicker. "You really think I'd come to you or your sister or anybody in your position for help? You think I don't have my own people? What exactly are you thinking? You think you can just be mean and rude and all of a sudden pretend to be friendly and I'd fall right into your feet?"

Zayed's brows furrowed, his eyes growing more intense. But before he could say anything the door to Malika's office opened.

"Why did-.."

The voice boomed but suddenly came to halt. Both Malika and Zayed's eyes turned to the door and Malika's heart dropped when she saw it was Hafidh.

She swallowed.

"Zayed, Asalam aleykum brother. I didn't know I'd find you here."  He said eyeing Malika.

Zayed stood straight, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I was just talking to Ms Adam, why are you here?" He quickly turned the question.

"Erm well, Ms Adam had a few questions the other day she wanted to know and I didn't get the chance to assist her so I said I would Monday morning, hence the reason I am here." He lied.

Zayed turned his head to look at Malika as if wanting to confirm what Hafidh just said.

Malika hesitated for a moment before responding, her voice laced with tension.
"Yah I had a few questions but.." she swallowed, "I think I have it all figured out Hafidh thanks" she hurriedly explained looking around her desk to find something to distract herself from the men before her. The presence of one man alone was enough torture for her and now they were both there. If anything they were making her little safe haven feel like hell!

Hot and scary!

Hafidh closed the door of the office and walked further into the room resulting to Malika subconsciously standing up abruptly from her chair and moving back, putting the chair in-front of her and wrapping her arms around her shoulders as if instinctively guarding herself against an unknown adversary. She appeared like a trapped bird, desperately trying to conceal her anxiety she watched the men before her staring at her; one with a warning glare while the other with a very concerned scowl.

Facing the man who had just forced himself on her the other night, Malika felt a profound unease. The situation was unbearable, and she didn't know how to navigate it.

Zayed stood by the table, observing her closely. She resembled a deer caught in headlights-vulnerable and uncertain.

He looked at Hafidh and then his eyes shifted back to Malika. While still trying to understand what just happened and what he just saw a soft chuckle escaped Hafidh's lips, breaking the tense silence.

"Don't you worry Ms Adam, I really don't mind helping." He reassured her with a wry smile. "let's just let Me Zayed go about his business and we will get right into ours too."

Malika, with her arms crossed defensively over her chest, reluctantly shook her head no. She didn't want to engage with this man, not now nor ever. She couldn't do anything about the situation with him back in her marital home but she surely knew she could stand up for herself there, in that office and with Zayed's presence she definitely knew he wouldn't dare harm her. She would face the consequences for it back home but right there and then she wasn't going to give him the pleasure of being her worst nightmare.

"I and Mr Zayed were discussing important matters." She said eyeing Zayed to go with the flow.

Hafidh turned to Zayed as if waiting for him to also confirm what Malika had just said.

"Were we not Mr Zayed?" She asked him with a tight smile.

"Yah, yes! Apparently we were!" He said as he slowly pulled out the chair in front of Malika's desk and sat down comfortably. His arms bulged beside him while his legs folded completing his sturdy and tall physique he maintained for his profession. "Close the door on your way out please Hafidh." He dismissed him.

Hafidh glared and Malika and forced a tight smile then exited the office.

Malika slowly began returning back to her sit avoiding by all mean to raise her head and meet with Zayed's obviously curious eyes.

He cleared his throat.

Nothing.

"Erm hello!" He taped on the desk and waved at her even though her head was still glued to her desk not daring to raise it.

"Care to explain what that was?" He asked.

Nothing.

Zayed frowned a bit and leaned forward, "Is Hafidh doing something? Here at the office is he assaulting you?" He asked concern vivid in his voice.

Malika raised her head and looked at him. Her eyes filled to the brim with tears threatening to fall down her chicks. But she didn't cry, none of her emotions rushed as she'd expected them to when he voiced his concern. She just stared at Zayed nonchalantly.

On the other hand, Zayed's head throbbed from the left side as something overwhelming urged him, he couldn't name what it was but he could feel it all around him. He couldn't believe himself what he just asked/suggested but what had happened just made him blurt out cause who else would a stubborn and hard headed person like Malika look terrified and pale just at the sight of his dear friend? The had to be a reason and he has to figure it out.

Something was wrong with the woman before him, something was definitely bothering her and as much as he sworn to never ever get himself involved with any matter about a woman because for a fact, he hates women!

He's been with one, married one, stayed with one and loved one, but what happened next? She didn't only ruin his entire life and view, she's ruined his whole world, family, work and anything he's ever loved. That was enough lesson for him to take to his grave!

Women are such deceitful creatures, always filled with venom to spit out and destroy you.
So no, apart from his mother and sisters there was never going to be no woman that would rule his head and heart in this life ever again.

And as much as that was an oath he was adamant to not break it still bothered him more than he could admit seeing the hurt in the doe eyed woman before him.

He couldn't stop himself even if he wanted to.
And he wanted to believe that was how Allah had created him; with the urge to help anyone who's in distress which is something that has been troubling his life. Because whether you slashed his body with an iron rod while he stared at you or murdered him, he would still do good to you when you are in need of it. But with her it felt different. He had lost the normal mental focus and rationality, he didn't just want to help her and ease her pain but wanted to destroy what caused it, felt the need the urge to protect her and shield her from any harm.

❧❧❧❧❧❧
Please don't forget to comment, vote and share🥰

Thank you for taking a moment out of your precious time to read The Ineligible🕊️

🖤🫀🪐