Bonus Chapter 1

December 4th, 2021

December 4th, 2021

"Kayl! We gotta go!" Aubrey West screams from the first floor of my two-story, 3,500 square-foot Craftsman house early Saturday afternoon, the day of the State Championship football game. She came to pick me up so we can meet up with everyone else at Henry Clay High School for the boy's send off to the game that's being played at Kroger Field here in Lexington.

My boyfriend of a year-and-a-half, a senior at our high school, Lucas Mitchell and two of his best friends, Brody Davis and Trey Shultz are playing in the game against St. Xavier, a private Catholic high school in Louisville.

"I'm coming!" I call back, grabbing my black envelope crossbody bag that has a snap closure and a partial chain link shoulder strap up off of my bed. I'm wearing my gray long sleeved top with "BLUE DEVILS" in blue and "OWN THE FIELD" in gold both stacked above the top of a gold football on the front paired with my dark blue washed pair of high-rise slim bootcut denim jeans. Long mocha brown balayage loose beach waves are pulled up into a high ponytail, completely showing off my silver medium sized open geometric diamond hoops while my slightly oversized metal matte black square sunglasses with gray lenses are on the top of my head.

I live at Shadow Ridge along with only my parents, Derrick and Tammy Podmore since my older sister, Kimberly moved a little more than a year ago with her now fiance, Ryan Adams. The successful racing operation has been passed down for generations, most recently to my parents after my grandpa, Ray, on my dad's side had a heart attack. My grandma, Mary was on him for a little while over it and he finally agreed that it was time to slow down, knowing my parents were more than capable of handling the responsibility. It has been a dream of mine to run the farm one day and since my sister has no interest in racing, I know one day it will be mine.

My bedroom door is barely pushed out of the corner and it is next to my extra long closet that has slightly larger white bi-folding doors with matching craftsman molding as the other doors in the house are both on the wall opposite my windows. I have my queen size bed in a heavy white wooden bed frame with a large headboard with a plank style center accent and a crown trim across the top, two storage drawers at the foot of the bed, bevel trim and bun feet that has a pleated blush duvet and gray paisley sheets while the matching two drawer nightstands are on either side along the far wall separating my closet and my window. I have the matching vertical dresser that has two small side by side top drawers and four stacked drawers and a white weathered floor length mirror propped next to it on the wall across from my bed. There's a small dark gray armchair tucked in the corner beside my window seat which are both decorated with assorted sizes and shades of pink and gray pillows. Above the chair are six stacked white floating shelves, two angled together in each layer, to make a corner shelf unit to hold my collection of books, mostly teen and young adult romance books and horse racing books. The floor is partially covered up by a round six-inch rug with a silver taupe, linen, plum, pomegranate, rose and light rosewood large-scale floral pattern while I have my walls coated in a lavender blush blended with an ivory gray hue paint.