Part Three

How do I break them up? Each date gets more and more romantic and each night she seems more in love with him. I glance at my hand against the checkered table. Am I becoming transparent? My heart slams in my chest as I glance over my paper at them. For the past two weeks, I have been tailing them, attempting to ruin any moments that may be too romantic as I try to figure out a way to break them up. Does it work? NO! It just makes it more romantic and it's making me angry!

"Oh for heaven's sake! Sharing a milkshake!" I hiss under my breath and flick the paper to cover my face as eyes dart to my direction. "What on earth am I going to do?"

"Ya know, you could always try to find yourself a fella who will do that with you instead of hating on it." I jump and my paper crinkles loudly as I look up. Standing above me, a guy with slick hair and tan slacks gives me a smile. His front tooth overlaps only a little on an otherwise perfect aligned smile. "Good afternoon Miss, is this seat taken." He directs to the other side of the booth. I glare at him over the paper.

"No." I state and look back towards Joan and Dan.

"Then may I sit with you?" He asks, peeking over the paper into my eyes. Blue, like the sky.

"No you may not." I state and move myself to look back towards them.

"Well, then allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kent-"

"Elizabeth. Nice to meet you, now go away." I hiss and look around his head. "Please." I add to be a little more polite. From the corner of my eye, I see him stick his hand into his pocket as he glances towards them and then back to me.

"Is that your fella?"

"Absolutely not." I finally look at him and the air traps in my throat. Oh he's pretty. His jaw is square and chiseled with high set  cheekbones as arching above. His chin is broad and smooth as can be. His dark hair is slicked back and the white button up shirt he wears is tight against his chest. "Ahem, she's my friend." He nods at her with a smile. "I'm worried about her."

"Really? You seem a little envious of her." He says and I glare at him.

"Listen here Mr. Know It All. I am not envious! I am just trying to make sure they don't fall in love!"

"Why would you not want that to happen?" He asks as he slides into the booth across from me, plucking the paper from my hand. "Love is a wonderful thing don't you think?"

"Yes, when it doesn't end in my ENTIRE EXISTENCE BEING WIPPED FROM THE FACE OF THIS PLANET!" I bark and the people around us grow quiet. I feel my face flush and when I look at him, he is leaning over staring at me with a look of mixed curiosity and amazement.

"You are a strange girl aren't you?" He whispers, resting his head onto his hand with a wistful smile. I glare and fold my arms over my chest.

"They just can't be together okay." I mutter as I begin to fold my paper. "You are interfering with my job Trent."

"It's Kent-"

"I don't care." I hiss and when I look over, Joan and Dan are no longer there. "Son of a biscuit." I groan crumbling the paper and standing up abruptly. He stands too quickly.

"What's the matter?" He asks and looks over at the place they were sitting. "Oh boy."

"Oh boy is right you bucket head! Now they are gone and I won't be able to ruin their date!" I growl and turn on my heels to leave.

"Look I'm sorry you want to— uh— ruin their fun time. Let me buy you a burger as an-"

"NO! I have to find them and ruin their dates until they break up!" I bark and he bits his lip as I turn, pay for my slice of pie, and leave. Scanning the street, he quickly darts out after me and I groan. "Bro! Stop it!" I shout and he raises his eyebrow.