8. Tyler

Sam was missing. Really missing. We found her phone in her dressing room. On the floor. We cut the event short.  How could we not? We announced the winner, allowed her to make her speech and then explained that something had happened to Samantha that we would need to deal with and that we were sorry that the evening was ending early.

"Where's Sammy, Daddy?" Rosie asked.

"I don't know, Sweet Pea," I said, rushing to the dressing room again, Jenna on my heels with Junie.

We'd called the police when a search of the venue revealed no Sam, but only Sam's phone.

"Could she have run away?" Jenna asked me.

"No. She was so excited about tonight. She was in charge. Everything was going smoothly," I said.

The police had arrived and with them our old friend, Detective Jake.

"Tyler," he said, shaking my hand, then pulling me into a hug. "What's happening?"

"It's Sam. Again. She's missing," I said.

"Right. And you're sure she didn't run away? You know she has a history of that when things get overwhelming."

"Jake, you know Sam. You know she's grown a lot since then. This was her night. She orchestrated this whole event. I mean with help of course but she created this scholarship. She was looking forward to this. Even though she was nervous about speaking, she was excited."

Jake nodded.

"You know we have to consider every possibility. So, do you have any ideas?"

I shook my head.

"I'm certain she didn't run away, but I can't think of anyone who'd take her?  Maybe someone who's seen her in the media lately?"

Jake nodded as he took notes.

"There's been no ransom demand? No note? No phone calls from anyone you don't know?"

I checked my phone to be sure.

"Nope. Nothing," I said.

"Same," Jenna said.

Jake nodded again.

"Okay. Let me go talk with my guys and we'll get back to you. Hang tight."

Josh came running into the room with Debby right behind.

"They're starting to tear stuff down. Any word on where Sam went?" Josh asked.

I shook my head.

"Hey, Jake?" I called out.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know of Gillingham is still in prison?"

"I don't, but I can find out. Give me a few," he answered. I nodded.

"Gillingham?" Josh said. "You think he might be involved?"

"I can't rule it out and I can't let Jake rule it out."

"Fair," Josh nodded.

As time went on, I got more and more worried. Sam didn't have any medications on her besides her pump. Had she eaten anything? But most importantly, who had her?

Jenna and I were frantic. Doc, who'd been at the event had come backstage and was sitting with us and trying to be helpful. To be honest, it was comforting having him there.

We were surrounded by friends and family who were trying to help as well. They'd searched the venue when Sam didn't come out on stage. The program director was, at first annoyed, now, like the rest of us, she was worried.